Santiago Local Custom Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Santiago Local Customs: 32 reviews and 46 photos
Monuments for famous people of chiles history can be found all over Santiago and here you will see a few of my favorite ones :
1 &2) Pablo Neruda was a chilenean novelist who won the Nobel prize for Literature and his former house is a museum nowadays, In Valparaiso you will find another house and museum of Pablo Neruda.
3)Ramon Vinay (1912-1996) Cantante Lirico
4)Salvador Allende, former president of Chile
5)Portales, who-ever that is, in any case it is one of the many monuments in the small park behind the seat of the president
great murals in Santiago / Barrio Bellavista
The best murals in Santiago de Chile will be found in Barrio Bellavista, a quarter that is close to the place, where the funicular to Cerro San Cristobal starts and when you take a walk from the citycentre to the funicular you will pass by plenty of them, the best ones are shown in these photographs but there are still a lot more.
users of wheelchairs may easily cross the streets and they will in most cases also find ramps to leave the sidewalk. Pinochet spent lots of years in a wheelchair, maybe this fact led to some approvements in this field. In various museums - not only in Santiago - I also saw wheelchair-lifts.
From many houses there is not more than just the lovely facade left over and they seem to wait for better times and some money to be integrated into a new building-complex with a modern interior and this lovely, traditional facade of the end of the 19th century. At the moment these houses look like the ones in Potemkin, the one on my pictures is just about 200 meters from Hotel Majestic.
Such lovely traditional Telefon-boths are still to be found at many cities in Chile, although the newer ones are made in a different design.
Electricity-plugs in Chile
Electricity-plugs will look like on my photograph, so it makes sense to search for an international adapter including this one with 3 holes already at home. In Chile it might be difficult to find the right adapter for your hairdryers, battery-chargers etc.
Voltage is 220 Volt and with my plug-adapter I had no problems to charge my camera-batteries !
Stray-dogs can be found at many places in Chile and this one is well known for living on "Cerro Santa Lucia" and on my photograph you can watch it taking a bath or rather a shower on a hot summerday. The water-sprinkling-system is jumping there automatically from one side to the other and the dog is waiting for the moment, when the water is coming its way...
Stray-dogs in Chile are not agressive at all, the only problem seems to be, when they are sleeping in the middle of the street in the pedestrian zone and you dont see them and step on their tail or whatever. (take a look at my last photo: a dog is taking a sleep in the pedestrian zone...)
Ladyman , chilenean style ;-)
Misunderstandigs - especially those that are obvious - are always quite funny, when taking a walk far away from home. This Lady-Man shop is a simple hairdresser offering service to ladies and men and not what you might have expected ;-)
I found this shop in the big complex behind of the statue of holy Santiago.
More Reviews (49)
- See All ask for a room facing the park !
- See All Another old palazio
- See All local arts & great souvenirs
- See All Fuente Alemana / the German Fountain
globetrott's Related Pages
Santiago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago, Chile"
- "a great place"
- "Santiago, Capital of Chile"
- "Working in Santiago"
- "Between the mountains and the sea"
- "VT Meeting in Santiago"
- "A little taste of South America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago
- Hotels in Santiago
- Transportation in Santiago
- Nightlife in Santiago
- Restaurants in Santiago
- Shopping in Santiago
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago
- See All...
Explore the World
- The Entrance
- Eastport Hotels
- Buruanga Hotels
- Adairsville Hotels
- Punta de Mita Hotels
Badges & Stats in Santiago
- 57 Reviews
- 273 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (292)
Have you been to Santiago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago
- Posted in Travel Cesky Krumlov Forum "Re: Hallstaat to Cesky to Vienna"
- Commented on one of spidermiss's Santiago travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The monument for Caupolican, the Indio-leader"
- updated a Santiago Travel Page "a great place"
- Wrote a Review ask for a room facing the park ! in Santiago Warnings and Dangers
Photos in SantiagoSee All Photos (273)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1067 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (345)
Latest Santiago hotel reviews
- Hotel Paris
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sheraton Santiago Hotel And Convention Center
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Los Nogales Santiago
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2008
- Hotel Carrera
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Eurotel Hotel Providencia Santiago
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 5, 2013
- La Fayette Suites Providencia
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 22, 2013
- Bellavista Hostel
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Best Western Majestic City Center Santiago
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Orly Hotel
- 640 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Chilli Hostel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Apart Hotel Club Presidente
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2013
- Grand Hyatt Santiago
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Ameristar Apart-Hotel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Novotel Santiago Vitacura
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Marriott Hotel Santiago
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Cerro San Cristobal- 32 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Plaza de Armas- 32 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Cerro Santa Lucia- 29 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Cajon del Maipo- 9 Reviews, 32 Photos
- La Moneda- 23 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Metropolitan Cathedral- 15 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Mercado Central- 11 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Barrio Bellavista- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Las Chascona - Pablo Neruda's House- 11 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Iglesia De San Francisco- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Santiago Things to Do