Santiago Off The Beaten Path Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Santiago Off The Beaten Path: 53 reviews and 161 photos
The monument for Caupolican, the Indio-leader
This is the sculpture of the Mapuche Indian leader, Caupolican, who led his people against Pedro de Valdivia and his conquistadores. Thanks a lot to my VT-friend Wstat, who told me the name of him !
So you will finally see all major parts of chilean history in my main picture:
The indio for the time before the European came, then on the left the fortification built by red bricks and finally the modern Chile in the back. From that tower a wide system of paths and steps will take you down to the lower city and to the Neptun-fountain.
Take a look at this lovely old palazzo, it could be Palacio Errazuriz or Palacio Irarrazabal according to my map. in any case it is between the metro-stations "Los Heroes" and "La Moneda", and directely at Av. Gerneral B.O'Higgins. This beautiful building had seen better days already but at the moment some restaurations are going on
Monumento a la amisrad / the friendship-monument
The monument for friendship is a large modern sculpture at Avenida Lib. General Bernardo O'Higgins, nothing special but quite interesting anyway in case that you get to that area close to the metro-station "U.de Chile"
Iglesia San Francisco de Borja
Iglesia San Francisco de Borja is a small chapel next to parque San Borja. It has an interesting neo-gothic interior and seems to be quite a popular place for marriages. I passd by it accidentally, while walking back from Cerro San Cristobal. Next metro-station is "U.Catolica"
churchservice is normally at 12.00 noon !
This is the small chapel on top of Cerro San Cristobal, it does not look very impressive from outside but inside it has some nice details like these sculptured frescos and the giant sea-shell tohold the sacered water at the entrance of the chapel.
the chapel is open during the day, photography is no problem.
lots of colorful houses in Barrio Bellavista
Barrio Bellavista is an old quarter of Santiago, where you will still find lots of such flat buildings like in a small town or village, even though it is just a few steps from the citycentre. Barrio Bellavista is close to the place, where the funicular to Cerro San Cristobal starts and on my way from Lastarria to the Cerro S.C. I saw lots of them and those are my favorite ones.
nameless building in Alonso Ovalle
This interesting building in the street Alonso Ovalle, opposite of San Ignacio, dates back to the year 1908. It is just a nameless and beautiful building that I passed by accidentally in a sidestreet parallell to Av. Bernardo O'Higgins, the next metro-station is "Los Heroes"
Eglesia San Ignacio in Santiago
Eglesia San Ignacio is a bit outside of the touristic area of Santiago, I passed by it accidentally and unfortunately the doors of that lovely church were locked.
San Ignacio is in the street Alonso Ovalle, a sidestreet parallell to Av. Bernardo O'Higgins, next to the metro-station "Los Heroes"
take a view from Cerro San Christobal
Dont miss to take that great panorama-view from Cerro San Christobal, on a clear day you will see the Andes in the background and only up there you get an idea about the giant size of that City.
Take the funicular or drive up by car, there will be a lot of foodstands, souvenirshops and also some restaurants up there.
"Villavicencio" is the steet that starts opposite of Iglesia de la Veracruz in the area of "Lastarria" and this building in that street was my favorite. It reminded me a bit of a castle with lovely details in the facade and a unique baywindow.
For Lastarria and Villavicencio search on your map for metrostation "Museo Precolombino" from there it is just about 100 meters !
More Reviews (37)
- See All ask for a room facing the park !
- See All Santiago by wheelchair
- See All local arts & great souvenirs
- See All Fuente Alemana / the German Fountain
globetrott's Related Pages
Santiago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago, Chile"
- "a great place"
- "Santiago, Capital of Chile"
- "Working in Santiago"
- "Between the mountains and the sea"
- "VT Meeting in Santiago"
- "A little taste of South America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago
- Hotels in Santiago
- Transportation in Santiago
- Nightlife in Santiago
- Restaurants in Santiago
- Shopping in Santiago
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago
- See All...
Explore the World
- Santa Fe
- Aruba Hotels
- Estado de Guanajuato Hotels
- Cigading Hotels
- Akron Hotels
- U. S. Virgin Islands
- Grass Valley Off The Beaten Path
- Cook Islands Off The Beaten Path
- Darmstadt Off The Beaten Path
- Kassel Off The Beaten Path
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Off The Beaten Path
- Red Rock Canyon
- San José del Cabo Off The Beaten Path
- Sligo Off The Beaten Path
- Castle Rock Off The Beaten Path
- Cambridge Off The Beaten Path
- Sisters Off The Beaten Path
- Gloucester Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Santiago
- 57 Reviews
- 273 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (293)
Have you been to Santiago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Christmas markets"
- Commented on one of spidermiss's Santiago travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The monument for Caupolican, the Indio-leader"
- updated a Santiago Travel Page "a great place"
- Wrote a Review ask for a room facing the park ! in Santiago Warnings and Dangers
Photos in SantiagoSee All Photos (273)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1067 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (345)
Latest Santiago hotel reviews
- Hotel Paris
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sheraton Santiago Hotel And Convention Center
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Los Nogales Santiago
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2008
- Hotel Carrera
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Eurotel Hotel Providencia Santiago
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 5, 2013
- La Fayette Suites Providencia
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 22, 2013
- Bellavista Hostel
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Best Western Majestic City Center Santiago
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Chilli Hostel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Grand Hyatt Santiago
- 281 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hostal Rio Amazonas Barrio Brasil Santiago
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel Alcala Del Rio
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 29, 2013
- Diego de Velazquez Hotel Santiago
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Atton Las Condes Hotel
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Panamericano Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Cerro San Cristobal- 32 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Plaza de Armas- 32 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Cerro Santa Lucia- 29 Reviews, 66 Photos
- La Moneda- 23 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Cajon del Maipo- 9 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Metropolitan Cathedral- 15 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Mercado Central- 11 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Barrio Bellavista- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Las Chascona - Pablo Neruda's House- 11 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Iglesia De San Francisco- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Santiago Things to Do