Bavaria Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Bavaria Transportation: 21 reviews and 40 photos
In order to get to Koenigssee by public transportation, take the bus #840 from Salzburg Rathaus and change to Bus #839 or #843 in Berchtesgaden, the total ride will be a bit more than 1 hour and there is mostly 1 bus-connection each hour.
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
This Buggy is rented by Restaurant Schiffmeister , you will find this place, when walking from the ship-station to Seeklause - see their web-page below !
NO helmet needed, because there is a strong top and you have your seat-belts as well, Driving-licence is the one of a car !!
Phone: +49(0)8652/6 46 14
Jenner is the mountain that is closest to Koenigsee, where you may get up by cablecar. and you will have an excellent view of the lake and the surrounding mountains.
Jenner-Bahn starts in Schoenau am Koenigssee, just about 200 meters above the large parking-area for Koenigsee.
Small cabins with just 2 seats will take you uphill.
Jennerbahn is also for skiing, prices vary a bit between summer and winter and you may as well get tickets for 5 days or a week, Jenner is also aquite popular place to start for paragliders.
There is a combination-ticket for
Jenner(up and down) + the ships on Koenigssee:
26,50 Euro to St. Bartholomae and return
(+3 euros extra for the ship to Salet)
both have to be done at the same day !
ordinary price would be 30,10 euros (+3,- for Salet)
biking in Munich / München
Biking is easy in Munich, as there are plenty of biking-paths all over the city.
On my picture you may see a small part of the big bike-parking in Pasing.
Plenty of people from the suburbs of Munich take the bike to get to the S-bahn-station there and go on by train.
Ammerang in Bavaria is close to Wasserburg am Inn and also quite close to the Chiemsee. It is the best to drive there on the highway München - Salzburg and leave the highway at exit Prien. Fromthere you stillneed todrive about 1 hour to Ammerang on sideroads through small villages, always following the direction "Wasserburg am Inn" !
Shortly before you get there you will arrive in Ammerang.
Parking your car is free of charge at both museums and also at the castle!
Type: Car/Motor Home
Koenigsee is just about 4 km from Berchtesgaden and at the beginning of the village you will find a large car-park for all of the day-tourists for Jenner, Koenigsee and Schoenau am Koenigsee. At first you have to enter the gate, pay right away for the whole day, no matter at what time of the day you are arriving.
Then you search for a parking-spot, preferably in the shade, but those are quite rare.
Walking-time to the lake is about 10 minutes, to Jennerbahn about 4 minutes.
Type: Car/Motor Home
The SHIP is the ONLY way to see Koenigssee
The ship is the only way to see Koenigsee, St. Bartholomae and Obersee, except maybe a few tiny, dangerous and steep mountain-paths through the woods. Along the way over the lake you may see only a few places, where something like a beach exists, in some cases with a small hut, but even those places are almost un-accesible except by boat (AND you may land there only upon prior appointment).
All of the ships will first go to St.Bartholomae and continue to Obersee, and will finally get back to St.Bartholomae again before they return to Schoenau.
All of these ships are powered by electric engines, you almost will not hear any noises at all.
ships are running all year EXCEPT Dec. 24th !!!
returntickets to St.Bartolomae are 11 euros
children (6-14) are 5,50 euros, dogs 2,50 !
"Kaffeerunde" (after 02.00p.m.) is 13,80 euros and
it includes the ship and a coffee and cake in St. Bartholomae
returntickets to SALET are 14 euros
for children : 7,00 , for dogs 2,50
"Kaffeerunde" (after 02.00p.m.)is 15,50 euros and
it includes the ship + coffee and a cake in Salet
NO toilets onboard !!!
Brewery-wagons drawn by 6 horses
Especially during Oktoberfest you may meet carriages like this one with 6 horses and a huge beer-wagon.
NO reason to worry, when you drive your car nearby, as these horses are used to the car-trafic and every horse will also have it's own "attendant" , walking all the time close to the horse, beeing able to interfere immediately in any case of danger.
Simply follow their instructions and you may pass by easily with your car.
Driving in the centre during Oktoberfest is not really a good idea anyway...
horse carriage in Rothenburg
In Rothenburg ob der Tauber you may take a sightseeing-tour in such an old horse-carriage.
These tours will take about 1,5 hours and will start at all major parkings around the centre of town.
Normally there is NO access for private cars to the old town of Rothenburg - except for locals of course and except for tourists, who have booked in one of the hotels.
This old steam-train of the 19th century will still take you from the trainstation of Prien to the ships that will go for Herrenchiemsee castle.
That ride is just 3 Km, but of course it is great fun to take such a lovely steam-train.
They provide a 1st class with great sofas and a 2nd class for ordinary people :-)
More Reviews (106)
- See All Abensberg : a Hundertwasser - tower & a...
- See All The Dornier-museum, just 15km from...
- See All hmmm
- See All bobsled and luge in the Ice-canal
- See All The ECHO of Koenigssee
globetrott's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: mountains, villages, churches"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Websites Bavaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pulau Papan Hotels
- Lancaster Hotels
- Hammocks Beach State Park Hotels
- Sevana Lich Hotels
- Mugla Ili
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 447 Reviews
- 816 Photos
- 213 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Commented on one of Florida999's Bavaria travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Abensberg : a Hundertwasser - tower & a lot more"
- Wrote a Review Abensberg : a Hundertwasser - tower & a lot more in Bavaria Things to Do
- updated a Bavaria Travel Page "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Top Bavaria hotels
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 2997 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Frankfurt Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 79 Photos
- Berchtesgaden Hotels
- 283 Reviews - 828 Photos
- Bamberg Hotels
- 451 Reviews - 1413 Photos
- Tegernsee Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 55 Photos
- Erlangen Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Starnberg Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Regensburg Hotels
- 218 Reviews - 670 Photos
- Mittenwald Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 233 Photos
- Augsburg Hotels
- 219 Reviews - 528 Photos