Bavaria Off The Beaten Path Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Bavaria Off The Beaten Path: 58 reviews and 95 photos
Dornbirn: a Rolls Royce-museum 10km from Lindau
In Dornbirn / Austria you will find the museum with the largest collection of Rolls Royce-cars. I really did not expect to see more than just a few cars, but the total number of Rolls-Royce-exhibits is more than 1000 - thats not only cars, but also all sorts of RR-accesories.
Cars are displayed in a museum, 3000 sqm wide and there is also a garage, where such cars are repaired and restored and you can walk there and watch the workers.
You will even see the original Rolls Royce of Laurence of Arabia, not in a perfect condition of course, but maybe perfect for its time and for the purpose it served for in the deserts.
The Dornier-museum, just 15km from Lindau
Friedrichshafen is not only the home of the Zeppelins, but also of the Dornier aircraft-production with some of the most unique airplanes on earth. You have certainly seen the DO X on older photos, the largest water-airplane that was ever built.
the Zeppelin-museum, 15km from Lindau
In Friedrichshafen you will see the excellent Zeppelin-museum and the museum of the Dornier-airplanes and Friedrichshafen is just about 15km from Lindau.
In my 1st photo: the original table-set-up for the passangers onboard of the Zeppelin
In my 2nd Photo: a Maybach Zeppelin, one of the strongest cars of that time and the Maybach-company also produced all the V-12 engines for the Zeppelins
In my 3rd photo: a cabin inside of the Zeppelin
My 4th photo: the saloon of the Zeppelin with the look-out
My last photo: the inner construction of a Zeppelin
Wolfegg: a great car-museum 50km from Lindau
In Wolfegg you will find the excellent car-collection of the late motor-journalist Fritz B. Busch, an excellent collection including a few unique exhibits like the world-record-car for Diesel-engines, that was driven by Fritz B. Busch himself (my 2nd picture).
He was also testing one of the first VW-Golf in 1974 on the Panamericana between Alaska and Fireland 35.000 km in 94 days.
I have a lot of photos of this museum in my Wolfegg-page !
the old fish-smoking-chamber in St.Bartholomae
For many centuries smoked fish is certainly still the most popular souvenir that people took home from their pilgrimage to St. Bartholomae and in the small fish-kiosk next to the landing-stage of St. Bartholomae you may look through a window and see such a historic smoking-chamber, dating back more than 400 years, that you may see on my main-picture.
Even the smell is great there and will tempt you to taste some smoked trout or take it home as a souvenir.
There is also an aquarium with several fishes, it might be interesting to watch them, while they watch you...
Every day they start smoking the fish at 07.00a.m. and the smoking-time takes 4 hours, so they are ready for lunch !
smoked trout, bread&butter 5,50 Euros
smoked trout, bread&butter and a glass of wine 7,90 Euros
Phone: +49 (0)8652 3119
Kessel - the remotest place of Koenigssee
Kessel is a so-called "Bedarfs-Haltestelle" , a place where the ship will dock in case that you ask for it in advance. Kessel is the tiny piece of land with the hut on it, that you may see on my 1st picture. On my 2nd pic you may see also the giant rocks behind of Kessel. From kessel you may start a full-day-hike to the mountains above Koenigsee, mainly to the Jenner, high above Koenigsee.Such a hike is for experienced and well-trained hikers only !! - For all others I may highly recommend the cable-car from Schoenau to Jenner : it is easy and not exhausting at all...
the large trout of Koenigsee
Fishing on Koenigsee is something special, also for the fact, that the only persons beeing licenced to fish at any place of the lake is the family who was grated these fishing-rights already hundreds of years ago. They own the large restaurant and beer-garden, the smaller hut, where you may get the smoked fishes to eat right away or carry home.
In 1976 they caught an extra-large trout,with a total of 27kg, take a look at my pictures, this trout is shown in the backpart of the entrance-hall of the large restaurant in St. Bartholomae. Just pass by all of the deer-trophees and you will see that trout at the right side, at the end of the hall.
Kleinhesseloer See in Englischer garten/Munich
Kleinhesseloer See is a lake in the north of the "Englischer Garten" in Munich and a great place to feed the birds or rent a boat.
There is also a great restaurant and beergarden with a few tables directely at the lake ( in the back of my picture!)
You may easily combine this lake with a visit at the Monopteros and the Chinesischer Turm.
St.Koloman is a famous pilgrim-church , close to Schloss Neuschwanstein.
You will pass by it, when coming from Munich, and the church will be at the crossing, where you leave the main road for Schwangau.
Thre church is open for the public only in the afternoon, this is why I have not seen it from inside, unfortunately.
Atadtapotheke in Füssen
This is maybe the most beautiful fassade of Füssen. You will find it in the pedestrian area.
The design of the 17th century follows similar fassades in Italy and gives you the feeling to see real stones and structures - but in fact the walls are completely flat.
The building was always used as a pharmacy and has also a great wooden furniture inside !
More Reviews (102)
- See All Abensberg : a Hundertwasser - tower & a...
- See All hmmm
- See All How to get to Amerang by car
- See All bobsled and luge in the Ice-canal
- See All The ECHO of Koenigssee
globetrott's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Fallen in love with Bavaria"
- "Bavarian Honeymoon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 481 Reviews
- 963 Photos
- 305 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (495)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: New map - sorry, don't like it"
- Commented on one of globetrott's Bavaria tips
- Wrote a Review Abensberg : a Hundertwasser - tower & a lot more in Bavaria Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Dornier-museum, just 15km from Lindau"
- updated a Bavaria Travel Page "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 349 reviews, 985 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 161 reviews, 755 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 171 reviews, 741 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 160 reviews, 718 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 202 reviews, 565 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 101 reviews, 462 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cyprus Intro, 98 reviews, 444 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 151 reviews, 388 photos, 2 travelogues