Austria Sports & Outdoors Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Austria Sports & Outdoors: 24 reviews and 52 photos
Schwarzsee, in the warmest lake of the Alps
When thinking of Kitzbühel most tourists think of a winter-resort, but this area is also great in the summer and in Schwarzsee you will be able to take a bath in the warmest lake of the Alps. There is an excellent natural swimming-area there at Schwarzsee and a lot of facilities and while swimming you will also have a perfect panorama-view of the austrian Alps. A part of the ground of the lake is made of moore, that is why the water is not totally clear there, but it is healthy to swim there.
Equipment: There are changing-rooms and lockers, restrooms and a cafe and restaurant plus a Kiosk. You will also find a large carpark.
Directions: Schwarzsee is in the east of Kitzbuehel, just about 3-4 km from the centre.
Theme: Beach Activities
Wiener Eistraum is an annual event - all of the square between the Burgtheater and Rathaus / Town Hall plus a big part of the surrounding park will be dedicated as a large place for scating. There is music playing outside and also inside various restaurant-tents. It is also great to watch this event on a cold day, while sipping some hot gluehwein. The icetracks are frozen by technical means, so a short time of warmer weather would not necessarily mean that the Wiener Eistraum would not take place !
09.00a.m.-04.00p.m. you pay 3,50 / children 2,50 / families 8,50
04.00p.m.-11.00p.m. the prices are : 5,00 / 4,00 / 13,- Euros
Equipment: Bring your own equipment or simply rent it there against a small fee. Even the toilets may be reached with your scates on !!
The fee for renting a pair of scating-shoes was 6,50 Euros in 2010 (4,00 Euros for children)
Address: A-1010 Wien - Rathausplatz
Directions: Wiener Eistraum Is always between Burgtheater and Rathaus/Townhall. Get there by tram #1 or #2.
This is a lot of fun, when you come to Vienna in wintertime, mainly in the advent, the 4 weeks before X-mas-day. Inside the MQ (Museums Quartier) in Vienna you will find a big variety of winter-activities such as skating or "Eisstock-schiessen" that you will see in my main picture. This is quite a popular sport in the alpine regions of Austria and Germany and you will have to try to get your "stick" as close as possible to another stick that is placed at the end of the track. Several players try to do so and each of them also has the possibility to push the "target-stick" and the other sticks away from its original position and so the game could be ended completly as a surprise. Mostly it is played by 2 teams fighting against each other
Equipment: You get all of the equipment there, you simply should have shoes that are not extremely slippery on the ice.
Directions: MQ is in a distance of 200 meters from Ringstrasse, opposite of Kunsthist. and Naturhist. museum, another entrance is at the beginning of Mariahilferstrasse.
There is a hiking-path following the Danube and the hikers will mostly walk over the hills nearby.
The total length is 240km and there will be many great places with great views on the Danube.
The steep path leading up to the panorama-point in Schlögen is part of that hiking-path.
You may get books and maps for these hikes in good bookshops - BUT I am not sure about anything in English.
Equipment: Just the ordinary hiking equipment & good shoes !
Directions: The path will start in Passau and end in the Wachau, close to Krems and Dürnstein
More Reviews (258)
- See All the cheapest train between Vienna &...
- See All Vötter's Fahrzeugmuseum: a great...
- See All Roiten - Hundertwasser-museum & his hut
- See All 288 attractions in & around Vienna for...
- See All Vienna: The SÜD-Bahnhof/OST-Bahnhof -...
globetrott's Related Pages
Austria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- "Classy Austria"
- "Paul2001's Austria Page"
- "4 Visits and 1 conclusion... Stunning!!"
- "VT meeting in Pisa"
- "Country of mountains, country of streams..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austria
- Hotels in Austria
- Transportation in Austria
- Nightlife in Austria
- Restaurants in Austria
- Shopping in Austria
- Warnings and Dangers in Austria
- See All...
Explore the World
- Färnebofjärden Hotels
- Tigbauan Hotels
- Antalya Ili
- Caraquet Hotels
- Alcudia Hotels
- Riyadh Sports & Outdoors
- Cody Sports & Outdoors
- Muscat Sports & Outdoors
- Dubai Sports & Outdoors
- Hurghada Sports & Outdoors
- Berlin Sports & Outdoors
- Sunny Beach Sports & Outdoors
- Baku Sports & Outdoors
- Cartagena Sports & Outdoors
- Rodos (City) Sports & Outdoors
- Armagh Sports & Outdoors
- Torri del Benaco Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Austria
- 815 Reviews
- 3,062 Photos
- 1,319 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (293)
Have you been to Austria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austria
- Posted in Travel Ladenburg Forum "Re: FLATS in Ladenburg, Germany : )"
- Wrote a Review the cheapest train between Vienna & Salzburg in Austria Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vötter's Fahrzeugmuseum: a great car-collection"
- updated a Austria Travel Page "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- Commented on one of csordila's Austria travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1067 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Austria hotels
- Vienna Hotels
- 7358 Reviews - 18228 Photos
- Salzburg Hotels
- 2579 Reviews - 5926 Photos
- Innsbruck Hotels
- 1140 Reviews - 2562 Photos
- Zell am See Hotels
- 112 Reviews - 442 Photos
- Hintersteiner See Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Linz Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 452 Photos
- Baden Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 211 Photos
- Kitzbühel Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 225 Photos
- Hallstatt Hotels
- 213 Reviews - 680 Photos
- Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 326 Photos
- Gmunden Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Villach Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 242 Photos
- Seefeld Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Seefeld in Tirol Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 107 Photos
- Mayrhofen Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 124 Photos