Berchtesgaden Transportation Tips by globetrott Top 5 Page for this destination
Berchtesgaden Transportation: 18 reviews and 32 photos
take the cablecar to JENNER
Jennerbahn is the cablecar that will take you from Schoenau am Koenigssee - just 4 km from Berchtesgaden - into the mountains high above Koenigsee and Berchtesgaden, into a hight of 1802 meters above sea-level. From Jenner you certainly will have the best and the closest panorama-view of Koenigssee and its surrounding mountains.
Jenner-Bahn starts just about 200 meters above the large parking-area for Koenigsee.
Small cabins seating just 2 persons will take you uphill.
Jennerbahn is also for skiing, prices vary a bit between summer and winter and you may as well get tickets for 5 days or a week, Jenner is also quite a popular place to start for paragliders.
Jenner(up and down) + the ships on Koenigssee:
26,50 Euro to St. Bartholomae and return
(+3 euros extra for the ship to Salet)
both have to be done at the same day !
ordinary price would be 30,10 euros (+3,- for Salet)
The very best way to explore the almost unspoilt nature around Berchtesgaden is certainly the ship from Schoenau am Koenigssee. These ships are driven by electric, so you even won't hear any noises of trafic and you may enjoy the ECHO of Koenigssee, when one of the boat-people is playing the trumpet and the echo returns several times.
The ship is the only way to see the banks of Koenigsee, St. Bartholomae and Obersee, except maybe a few tiny, dangerous and steep mountain-paths through the woods. Along the way over the lake you may see only a few places, where something like a beach exists, in some cases with a small hut, but even those places are almost un-accesible except by boat (AND you may land there only upon prior appointment).
All of the ships will first go to St.Bartholomae and continue to Obersee, and will finally get back to St.Bartholomae again before they return to Schoenau.
All of these ships are powered by electric engines, you almost will not hear any noises at all.
ships are running all year EXCEPT Dec. 24th !!!
returntickets to St.Bartolomae are 11 euros
children (6-14) are 5,50 euros, dogs 2,50 !
"Kaffeerunde" (after 02.00p.m.) is 13,80 euros and
it includes the ship and a coffee and cake in St. Bartholomae
returntickets to SALET are 14 euros
for children : 7,00 , for dogs 2,50
"Kaffeerunde" (after 02.00p.m.)is 15,50 euros and
it includes the ship + coffee and a cake in Salet
NO toilets onboard !!!
the trainstation of Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden has its own train-station and the trainline ends there, trains are arriving via Bad Reichenhall. From Salzburg to Berchtesgaden it is about 1 hour by train and you may as well take the bus from Salzburg :
Take the bus #840 from Salzburg Rathaus and in case that you like to go to Koenigssee as well, change there to Bus #839 or #843 , the total ride will be a bit more than 1 hour and there is mostly 1 bus-connection each hour.
check the timetable here, and search for Berchtesgaden or for Koenigssee !
In Schoenau am Koenigssee you may rent this small buggy with 2 seats for 50 Euros per day. You will not be able to make a lot of noise around Koenigsee,because you will not find any roads there, it is rather ment for the roads around Berchtesgaden and it might be funny to explore the scenic roads that way, when you came by public transportation to Koenigsee.
This Buggy is rented by Restaurant Schiffmeister , you will find this place, when walking from the ship-station to Seeklause - see their web-page below !
NO helmet needed, because there is a strong top and you have your seat-belts as well, Driving-licence is the one of a car !!
Kehlsteinstrasse - the upper parking
There is NO public road from Obersalzberg to Kehlsteinhaus, BUT only the historical, scenic road called Kehlsteinstrasse, that is used nowadays for the buses taking you up the mountain.
You will have to leave your car at the large car-parking in Obersalzberg, have to pay a parking-fee there of 2,50 euros a day (1,50 with a Kurkarte) and get a ticket for the bus to Kehlsteinhaus. That bus-ticket has a time printed on it and is valid ONLY at that time !!
As soon as you have reached the upper parking you will have to register for the bus you would like to take back, and you will get a stamp on your ticket, indicating that time.
In case that you would like to get down again prior to that time, and they still have empty spaces, they are glad for everyone going down prior than the last buses.
1 hour at Kehlsteinhaus is enough, in case that you don't plan to spend some time in the restaurant or want to start any of the hikings (that would also require experienced climbers & equipment !!)
The ride is 14,50 euros both ways and 12,50 euros one way and just 13,- / 11,- Euros for holders of a Kurkarte (you get it when you stay in a hotel in the area) and it includes the fee for the lift inside the mountain, that takes you from the upper parking directely to Kehlsteinhaus !
Buses are leaving the lower parking at :
09.20 + 09.24 + 10.10 + 10.35 + 11.00 + 11.25 + 11.50a.m. + 12.15 + 12.40 + 01.05 + 01.30 + 01.55 + 02.20 + 02.45 + 03.10 + 03.35 + 04.00p.m.
The last bus is leaving the upper parking at 04.50 pm !!
More Reviews (32)
- See All St. Bartholomae - the pilgrim-church
- See All Make your 1st stop in St.Bartholomae
- See All Kessel - the remotest place of...
- See All Hiking around Jenner & Obersalzberg
globetrott's Related Pages
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic mountains & also some sort of history"
- "Bavarian Beauty"
- "Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint"
- "Side Trip to Bavaria"
- "More pictures from Konigsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berchtesgaden
- Hotels in Berchtesgaden
- Transportation in Berchtesgaden
- Nightlife in Berchtesgaden
- Restaurants in Berchtesgaden
- Shopping in Berchtesgaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Berchtesgaden
- See All...
Explore the World
- Republic of Serbia
- Lago di Garda Hotels
- Bretton Woods Hotels
- Marina South City Park Hotels
- São José dos Campos
- Rakiraki Hotels
Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden
- 36 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Berchtesgaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden
- Posted in Travel Hallstatt Forum "Re: Bad weather?"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Berchtesgaden travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "St. Bartholomae - the pilgrim-church"
- Wrote a Review St. Bartholomae - the pilgrim-church in Berchtesgaden Things to Do
- updated a Berchtesgaden Travel Page "Scenic mountains & also some sort of history"
Photos in BerchtesgadenSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 251 reviews, 1221 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 377 reviews, 1066 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 262 reviews, 1130 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Intro, 192 reviews, 893 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 203 reviews, 792 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 805 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 200 reviews, 552 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 172 reviews, 413 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg Intro, 160 reviews, 421 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 253 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (342)
Latest Berchtesgaden hotel reviews
- Hotel Alpenhof
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel und Gasthaus Maria Gern
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2012
- Hotel zum Turken
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013
- Hotel Bavaria
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Intercontinental Resort Berchtesgaden
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Vier Jahreszeiten Berchtesgaden
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013