Avignon Things to Do Tips by BEETLE_VERTE
Avignon Things to Do: 207 reviews and 392 photos
This must be a tourist trap... but I really enjoyed it. Completes the "old french" feeling I had about this city. In the central place, but I've seen it in other cities too, this carousel go round and round, surrounded with ice cream vendors and little bistro where to sip a kir...
Where the pope spoke
The guided tour inside the Palais des Papes takes place with a little carry-on radio that explains everything you see. Althought, I have to admit, it can be a bit confusing... I didn't where the "north wall" or the "east dinner room" was, or any technical vocabulary they used... But still, it was fun.
You get to see rooms, learn the history that took place here and feel how it was to live during those times.
And the mising pieces (from fire, destruction or pillage) they make up with light projection... great!
Palais des Papes
This half fortress - half palace was build for a few popes, during a "misunderstanding" with Rome. No need to go into the details, you'll find out on your own there...
But before you take the guided tour inside...
Sip a drink at the feet of the palace, on one of the terrace, where the music and animation of artists will take you back in time so you can enjoy your visit.
Go in the backyard to a most fantastic garden and pond. Nice little bistro too. Great view on the Ventou mountain.
Walk behind the fortress where its walls mess with the city and the rocks.
You'll then be ready to dance on the Avignon's bridge!
Very different from everything you'll see in Provence. A bit too tourstic for my taste (souvenir shop and fortune teller), but very beautifull with a bohemian feeling. Go on sunday, you'll catch the fiesta, the meeting at the church Ste-Maries and maybe a corrida. But on monday and friday, you'll catch the market. Learn about the mythic creation of the city by 3 Maries (the city is called Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer, or holly Mary of the sea) and the action of the sea on the land.
It's name sound like a poem or a music. Walk trough it's streets, sit at its cafe, eat at its tables, visit its Arene, Amphiteatre, museum and gardens or window shop in its boutiques and you'll be sure! At the Voltaire square, you'll see the cafe (now called Van Gogh Cafe) that inspire a beautifull paint to Van Gogh (among others). Animation in the center of the square and the tables of all the cafes that meets under the trees will complete the picture!
Address: Place voltaire, Arles.
You'll see a magnificent part of an old aqueduc build arounr 19 BC that carried water from Uzes to Nimes. It's very impressive and you'll feel like Obelix or Asterix can turn the corner at any time! A little park under the trees is a wonderfull place to have a picnic. There's also a snak bar.
Address: Near Uzes.
Deep and magnificent caves more than 40 km long. Set-up so it's easy to access (there is quite a few steps though!), the visit is breath taking. You'll walk the corridor of these cave, feeling the heat outside disapear as you go deeper. It's never humid or cold though. And you'll have the suprise of a very well planned sound and light show. Outside, you can rent a kayak and sail on the river who melted the moutain...!
Directions: 10 km from Saint-Marcel-Village, on the touristic road of l'Ardeche.
More Reviews (10)
- Just time...
- See All A kir...
- French provencal!
- Canned food is really good...
BEETLE_VERTE's Related Pages
Avignon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enchanting Avignon!"
- "Avignon - Cité des papes et du théâtre"
- "Several Popes and More"
- "The Papacy of Avignon"
- "AVIGNON AND ORANGE"
- "Avignon, perched against the Rhone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avignon
- Hotels in Avignon
- Transportation in Avignon
- Nightlife in Avignon
- Restaurants in Avignon
- Shopping in Avignon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avignon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Penampang Hotels
- New Zealand
- Giant City State Park Hotels
- Sanibel Hotels
- Srirampur Hotels
Badges & Stats in Avignon
- 17 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Avignon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avignon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 105 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quepos Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 48 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alajuela Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 29 reviews, 26 photos
- Puerto Jiménez Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fortuna Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicoutimi Intro, 27 reviews, 19 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Avignon hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Avignon
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Hotel Boquier
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel du Parc
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2012
- Hotel le Medieval
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Le Clos du Rempart
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Sep 28, 2012
- Etap Avignon centre
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel Garlande
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Citea Avignon
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 27, 2013
- Ibis Avignon Centre Gare
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Formule 1 Avignon Centre Courtine Gare TGV
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2012
- De l'Horloge Hotel
- 291 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel d'Europe
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Clarion Cloitre Saint Louis Hotel
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Danieli Hotel
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Other towns & attractions near Avignon- 15 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Palais des Papes- 49 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Pont du Gard- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Pont D'Avignon / Pont Saint Bénezet- 31 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Look around the City- 21 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Place de l'Horloge- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
- City walls- 8 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Rocher des Doms- 9 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cathedrale Notre-Dame-des-Doms- 8 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Festivals- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Avignon Things to Do