"Alajuela, base camp for the central valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Alajuela by BEETLE_VERTE

Alajuela Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 174 photos

We didn't quite see the city, but used it as a base camp for many activities in the central valley, starting with the international airport. I don't think there's much more to do here than in San Jose, but at least it's less unpleasant...

January 2005, we came back, still using Alajuela as a base camp. Love the accessibility to everything, location, climate and peace (over San Jose).

This page is part of my Costa Rica travel page.

• Pros:Close to everything in the Central Valley
  • Cons:Not much to do out on the streets
  • In a nutshell:Quiet and nice
  • Last visit to Alajuela: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2005

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM

More great information...and great photos of the volcano crater lakes..well written and detailed tips...just what I like!!

• Jul 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Ever increasing "the bite" on tourists, ZOO-AVE now charges about $15 for tourists but still only $6 for nationals. It's still a terrific place and worth the trip out to see it!

• verusshka's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I like your page! Getting ready for my 2nd trip to Costa Rica this year. Can't get enough!@

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Your tips are invaluable, esp the tourist trap and warnings...thank you very much!

• Sep 16, 2005 at 10:54 AM

Great trips! Really liked the Green turtle photo!

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 6:16 AM

Thanks for the advice too...will use Alajuela as my "first campbase" in January ;-)

• quime's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2004 at 12:26 PM

I will use Alajuela as my Costa Rica "Hub" next time. thanks for the advice!

BEETLE_VERTE

“Mon pays ce n`est pas un pays, c`est l`hiver!”

Badges & Stats in Alajuela

Have you been to Alajuela?

Latest Activity in Alajuela