"Last Frontier" Puerto Jiménez by BEETLE_VERTE
Puerto Jiménez Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 90 photos
I've done the obvious. The Arenal volcano, the Manuel Antonio Park, the Monteverde birdwatching, ... and loved it! I wanted more, I wanted to go deeper, longer.
I chose to stay a week in the Osa peninsula because I wanted to visit the Corcovado Park. They say it's the Costa Rica's jewel and they are probably right (or at least one of them!). A wide deep mysterious tropical forest... one of the most ecologically dense part of the world, as NG once said... it called me!
I needed a place to stay and chose Puerto Jimenez. There's really a few cities. Drake's suppose to be more upscale, not for the small budget I have. Carate seemed an interesting place but very secluded and somewhat expensive (100$ a night in a tent... okay, it's a hard wood floor tent with all the amenities, but still...) but now that I've seen it, it's a great place and I would love to go back and spend a few nights on the beach between Carate and La Leona ranger station.
And then, there's Puerto Jimenez. The Last Frontier city, a little " without faith nor law" feeling, affordable lodgings, shops and bars, beaches, mangroves and forest walk just behind the main street.
It's really a feeling. And convenience.
But what honnestly made me book my plane tickets is this little sentence in my guide book: Quietly sitting in the trees surrounding the central soccerfield, ara macaw parrots are the best fans of the local team.
We did many things, but one of the best was taking our time and enjoy!
- Pros:Real, affordable, conviniente, simple, alive in incredibly beautiful surroundings
- Cons:Little night life or shopping spree
- In a nutshell:All and everything
A little east of Puerto Jimenez, large mangroves sustain amazing wildlife. A good hiding from the heat of the day, they... more travel advice
About 5km south of Puerto Jimenez, we can reach gorgeous beach on the ocean with big waves, grey sand, hut, palm trees... more travel advice
BEETLE_VERTE's Related Pages
Puerto Jiménez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Last Frontier"
- "Peninsula de Osa"
- "The Osa Penninsula"
- "Lookout - Fire on the Runway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Jiménez
- Hotels in Puerto Jiménez
- Transportation in Puerto Jiménez
- Restaurants in Puerto Jiménez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Jiménez
- 13 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Puerto Jiménez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Jiménez
Photos in Puerto JiménezSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 105 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quepos Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 48 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alajuela Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monteverde Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 29 reviews, 26 photos
- Puerto Jiménez Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fortuna Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicoutimi Intro, 27 reviews, 19 photos
No friends yet.