"Last Frontier" Puerto Jiménez by BEETLE_VERTE

Puerto Jiménez Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 90 photos

I've done the obvious. The Arenal volcano, the Manuel Antonio Park, the Monteverde birdwatching, ... and loved it! I wanted more, I wanted to go deeper, longer.

I chose to stay a week in the Osa peninsula because I wanted to visit the Corcovado Park. They say it's the Costa Rica's jewel and they are probably right (or at least one of them!). A wide deep mysterious tropical forest... one of the most ecologically dense part of the world, as NG once said... it called me!

I needed a place to stay and chose Puerto Jimenez. There's really a few cities. Drake's suppose to be more upscale, not for the small budget I have. Carate seemed an interesting place but very secluded and somewhat expensive (100$ a night in a tent... okay, it's a hard wood floor tent with all the amenities, but still...) but now that I've seen it, it's a great place and I would love to go back and spend a few nights on the beach between Carate and La Leona ranger station.

And then, there's Puerto Jimenez. The Last Frontier city, a little " without faith nor law" feeling, affordable lodgings, shops and bars, beaches, mangroves and forest walk just behind the main street.

It's really a feeling. And convenience.

But what honnestly made me book my plane tickets is this little sentence in my guide book: Quietly sitting in the trees surrounding the central soccerfield, ara macaw parrots are the best fans of the local team.

It's true.

We did many things, but one of the best was taking our time and enjoy!

• Pros:Real, affordable, conviniente, simple, alive in incredibly beautiful surroundings
  • Cons:Little night life or shopping spree
  • In a nutshell:All and everything
  • Last visit to Puerto Jiménez: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2006

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM

GREAT tips,informative and detailed..there's so many hits on this page and only a few ratings...I dont understand that...anyhow..Im looking at maybe spending time in Costa Rica and assembling info..I enjoyed my look at Puerto Jiménez..thanks!

BEETLE_VERTE

“Mon pays ce n`est pas un pays, c`est l`hiver!”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Jiménez

Have you been to Puerto Jiménez?

Latest Activity in Puerto Jiménez