"Canyon de Chelly National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Chinle by 10eke
Chinle Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 62 photos
Canyon de Chelly is not as impressive as the Grand Canyon, but it doesn't need to be! This is a place that tells the story of a people, not of the geology that created the canyon.
People settled here because the bottom of the canyon provides water and fertile fields. The canyon also provides a natural defence. From the rim you can see the hogans and fields a thousand feet below. Wind and water have carved aerodynamic lines and shapes in the rocks. The first people known yo have lived here were the Anasazi. They left Canyon de Chelly and other settlements in Arizona around 1200 AD. The reason is still a much debated issue, possible reasons are a long drought or a volcano eruption. Later settlements were by the Navajo.
10eke's Related Pages
Chinle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Canyon De Chelly"
- "2005 and 2009"
- "Canyon de Chelly"
- "Canyon de Chelly National Monument"
- "chinle canyon de chelly"
- "Chinle: In the heart of the Navajo Reserve"
- "The Navajo Nation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chinle
- Hotels in Chinle
- Restaurants in Chinle
- Shopping in Chinle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chinle
- 1 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Chinle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chinle
Photos in ChinleSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 9 travelogues
- El Paso Intro, 9 reviews, 65 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hasselt Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 20 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgium Intro, 5 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Gent 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Washington State Intro, 5 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 4 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues