"Listening to Space" Arecibo by frankcanfly
Arecibo Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 68 photos
Here is a short photo journal of my day at the National Science Foundation's Space listening post in the hills of NW Puerto Rico. This is the world's largest radar/radio telescope. Here scientists from all over the world use this dish to listen to the Universe.
The Arecibo Ovservatory is part of the National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center operated by Cornell University under a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation.
Set inside a natural sinkhole in the karst topography, this 20 acre radio telescope does not move. The 600 tons of sensors and amplifiers suspended above the dish control what the scientists are listening too.
Remember the early scenes of 'Contact' with Jodie Foster? that was here.
After 30 minutes of winding roads after passing the town of Arecibo, this is the first view. It seems surreal, I`m... more travel advice
One of the three support towers. They average 300 ft in height, and were built in an average of 20 days each! more travel advice
frankcanfly's Related Pages
Arecibo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Listening to Space"
- "La Villa del Capitan Correa"
- "Arecibo Observatory - Worth Seeing!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arecibo
- Hotels in Arecibo
- Restaurants in Arecibo
- Warnings and Dangers in Arecibo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arecibo
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Arecibo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arecibo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 183 reviews, 243 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 116 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 57 reviews, 98 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 36 reviews, 91 photos
- San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 106 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Little Rock Intro, 45 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 37 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 44 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues