Antarctica Local Custom Tips by frankcanfly
Antarctica Local Customs: 62 reviews and 94 photos
Here are some links I found while researching Antarctica before my trip:
View from Ob Hill
McMurdo Station is the largest U.S. research facility in Antarctica. It is located on the southern tip of Ross Island and lies 2,415 miles south of Christchurch, New Zealand and 850 miles north of the South Pole.
The National Science Foundation (NSF), through the United States Antarcic Program (USAP), coordinates U.S. scientific research in the Antarctic. Research performed in land around McMurdo includes marine and terrestrial biology, biomedicine, geology and geophysics, glaciology and glacial geology, meteorology, aeronomy, and upper atmospheric physics.
During the austral summer the population of scientists and support personnel at McMurdo often exceeds 1,100 people. In the austral winter, the population drops to roughly 250 people.
McMurdo Station was constructed by the United States in 1955-56 as part of its Operation Deep Freeze series of expeditions
Across the airwaves
On Christmas Day, the McMurdo Choir got together in 'MAC Center' to transmit Christmas Carols over the HF frequencies to all of the remote outposts spread across the continent.
This event put me more in the Christmas Spirit than the Christmas Party did.....
As the purist continent on earth, there are strict policies regarding waste material here in Antarctica.
EVERY piece of material that is brought here, is also taken away when it becomes waste. That's right, no dump sites at all, everything gets sent off the continent.
Tenants are requested to sort every material into provides bins.
More Reviews (53)
- See All Tomato
- See All Polar Star Ice Breaker
- See All Scuba Diving?
- See All Swing Dancing
- See All Castle Rock
frankcanfly's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pere Marquette State Park Hotels
- Kbely Hotels
- Cowes Hotels
- Kampung Peramu Hotels
- Palm Beach
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 57 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 183 reviews, 243 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 116 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 57 reviews, 98 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 36 reviews, 91 photos
- San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 106 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Little Rock Intro, 45 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 37 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 44 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues