"My Seventh Continent!" Antarctica by frankcanfly

Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,167 reviews and 2,706 photos

I made it to Antarctica! I spent nearly 3 weeks at McMurdo Scientific Research Station! AND! I finally made it to the South Pole! Quite an exciting time for this geography geek.

I'll continue adding tips and photos to this page even though I'm back home. Please come back often.

McMurdo Station, Antarctica
77.85°S 166.67°E

Brief History

Antarctica was not sighted until 1820. It is believed that no on actually set foot on the continent until 1895.

In 1841, James Clark Ross's ships the Erebus and the Terror were the first to penetrate the Antarctic pack ice.

Robert Scott, Edward Wilson, Ernest Shackleton and their sledge party left McMurdo Sound in early November 1902 and headed south across the Ross Ice Shelf in the first serious attempt to reach the South Pole.

On December 14, 1911, after a 57 day journey, Roald Amundsen and his team of explorers arrived at the South Pole, a month before Robert Scott's party of 1911-12. Scott never made it back home. He perished with his crew before making it back to McMurdo.

• Pros:Untouched, Natural Beauty
  • Cons:An expensive and far away destination
  • In a nutshell:Do not pass up ANY opportunity to come here
  • Last visit to Antarctica: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2006

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 4:30 AM

amazing and exciting page, Frankster. BTW, they say that salads are healthy. I can see where those tomatos and kiwis could save your life. :)

• Dec 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Best in Antatrtica! Rooms are $2.00 for living there. Pay rent every 3 months

• ILUVTOTRAVEL's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM

What a great experience...!!! Wish I'd known about bowling when I was there; I'd have bowled...!!! I did in Russia, Japan and other places. I loved reading your Antarctica stories and experiences. Thanks for sharing...Bonnie in Montana "ILUVTOTRAVEL"

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 6:35 AM

Had no idea there were so many "researchers" in Anartica! Looks like a big fraternity party every night!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Looks like you had a stack of fun there Frank! I enjoyed a rummage through matey :o) Cheers, Ann.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 9:28 PM

The operative question about your trip is, did you "join the club" by er...streaking between buildings at the base? One of my engineers set up the SAT com to enhance their internet communication at one point.

• Marina_tom's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 2:53 PM

It's funny to see that there's some nightlife in Antarctica! :)))) Awesome!

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 6:09 AM

"You may also come across a 'Kiwi' version of the Tomato" .... tx for this great tip, I'm sure I'd remember when I do :)....Really Wonderful & Unforgettable page...

• kammeres's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 2:08 AM

Frank, did you know a buddy of mine that was there, he was a weather forecaster. His name is Gary Hall.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 4:34 PM

Wow, Frank! That's really cool! No, really... that's REALLY COOL! (thank you very much, I'll be here all week. Be kind to your servers, and try the veal.)

frankcanfly Visits Here Frequently!

frankcanfly

“Being like everyone else, is like being nobody”

Badges & Stats in Antarctica

• 0 Countries

Have you been to Antarctica?

Latest Activity in Antarctica