"PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE" Wickford by Pawtuxet

Wickford Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 127 photos

A Peaceful little coastal village

Old Americana pervades the village and all the little streets leading down to the water and west through the bogs. Wickford is far enough out of the way so that it hasn't been disturbed, yet it's close enough to the popular route from New York to Newport...so that it gets its fair share of tourists and summer visitors. The village has a lively assortment of gift shops, unusual clothing, antiques, clocks, books, dog ware, and gourmet food stores. Stop for lunch or ice cream....buy some fresh fish, or take home some of the luxuries of Wickford Gourmet. You won't be disappointed in this little town.
Here on Main Street you see shops with names such as Beauty and the Bath.....Different Drummer.

A Treasure trove of historic architecture

Don't miss the docks where the fresh Quohaugs come in. RI is famous for this large shell fish which seems to be found only in our waters. The quohaugers...(men who dig the large hard shelled creatures) are an interesting lot. This is the unique little boat they use to work with. More in later tips.

Old Yellow

One of the earlier homes of the village has had extensive restoration done to it. Almost entirely reworked, rebuilt, restored...it is one of many which provide an interesting study in early American architecture. Drive the back streets to find many examples.

• Pros:Enchanting little coastal village
  • Cons:No bright lights, gambling casinos or Mac Donald's here !!
  • In a nutshell:New England villager's delight
  • Last visit to Wickford: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2006

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2009 at 7:24 AM

I love places like this... the architecture is fabulous. A leisurely seafood lunch watching the comings and goings of the bay... ah... beautiful page

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Janet - I spent a lovely morning walking around this city before driving to Newport, I must pay it a proper visit next time.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Nice page, Janet. I so want to visit New England now!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Great presentation of a beautiful little old New England town by a bay. I have to buy next memory cards before coming, I see. A stuffed Quahaug? I still don't know it :-(! Is it good?

• paula69's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Thank you. Your page is beautiful. Paula.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2006 at 10:33 PM

Janet, I just spent yesterday and today in Wickford. It really is a lovely town. I am afraid that I will leave it up to you to give the VT tour. I am still not able to upload my photos, since I am not yet back home with my computer.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Yet another quaint American towen, I cannot wait to visit the States in 2008!!!! Oh how I want time to flyyyy :) I love the cute shop names, the antiques, the quirky clothes, the tradition. It's so becoming. Thanks, Jen x

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 1:45 PM

The beauty and the bath...sounds good. Better than the beauty and the beast in the bath :)) Nice little page you've made again Janet.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 10:38 PM

Nice tips & pics and some great travelogues, Janet. Next time I pass through Wickford I'm gonna stop there :-) Loved the Smith's Castle pictures, they made me think of the ones that lie in wait in my pics folder. About time I used them, huh? ;-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 7:30 AM

Hi, Janet! Great you've been there! It is a fine little place to enjoy and to study...

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Wickford

Have you been to Wickford?

Photos in Wickford