"PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE" Wickford by Pawtuxet
Wickford Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 128 photos
Old Americana pervades the village and all the little streets leading down to the water and west through the bogs. Wickford is far enough out of the way so that it hasn't been disturbed, yet it's close enough to the popular route from New York to Newport...so that it gets its fair share of tourists and summer visitors. The village has a lively assortment of gift shops, unusual clothing, antiques, clocks, books, dog ware, and gourmet food stores. Stop for lunch or ice cream....buy some fresh fish, or take home some of the luxuries of Wickford Gourmet. You won't be disappointed in this little town.
Here on Main Street you see shops with names such as Beauty and the Bath.....Different Drummer.
Don't miss the docks where the fresh Quohaugs come in. RI is famous for this large shell fish which seems to be found only in our waters. The quohaugers...(men who dig the large hard shelled creatures) are an interesting lot. This is the unique little boat they use to work with. More in later tips.
One of the earlier homes of the village has had extensive restoration done to it. Almost entirely reworked, rebuilt, restored...it is one of many which provide an interesting study in early American architecture. Drive the back streets to find many examples.
- Pros:Enchanting little coastal village
- Cons:No bright lights, gambling casinos or Mac Donald's here !!
- In a nutshell:New England villager's delight
There is a parking lot behind the business strip where I enjoyed the view as I stepped out of my car. Several others had... more travel advice
There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not to put in a deep water port at the old military installation at ... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Wickford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE"
- "Roger Williams Was Here"
- "Wickford, The Most Charming Seaport Village"
- "Rhode Island's colonial-era gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wickford
- Hotels in Wickford
- Transportation in Wickford
- Restaurants in Wickford
- Shopping in Wickford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wickford
- 40 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Wickford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wickford
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Family Visiting US for the..."
- updated a Wickford Travel Page "PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE"
- Wrote a Review Kick back and enjoy the day in Wickford Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kick back and enjoy the day"
- Commented on one of ForestqueenNYC's Wickford travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues