"PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE" Wickford by Pawtuxet
Wickford Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 127 photos
Old Americana pervades the village and all the little streets leading down to the water and west through the bogs. Wickford is far enough out of the way so that it hasn't been disturbed, yet it's close enough to the popular route from New York to Newport...so that it gets its fair share of tourists and summer visitors. The village has a lively assortment of gift shops, unusual clothing, antiques, clocks, books, dog ware, and gourmet food stores. Stop for lunch or ice cream....buy some fresh fish, or take home some of the luxuries of Wickford Gourmet. You won't be disappointed in this little town.
Here on Main Street you see shops with names such as Beauty and the Bath.....Different Drummer.
Don't miss the docks where the fresh Quohaugs come in. RI is famous for this large shell fish which seems to be found only in our waters. The quohaugers...(men who dig the large hard shelled creatures) are an interesting lot. This is the unique little boat they use to work with. More in later tips.
One of the earlier homes of the village has had extensive restoration done to it. Almost entirely reworked, rebuilt, restored...it is one of many which provide an interesting study in early American architecture. Drive the back streets to find many examples.
- Pros:Enchanting little coastal village
- Cons:No bright lights, gambling casinos or Mac Donald's here !!
- In a nutshell:New England villager's delight
Just south of the Wickford village, you can visit another National HIstoric site. It's the birthplace of the most well... more travel advice
This is a very well known kayak centre. They will help you get started if you've never paddled before...but beyond that,... more travel advice
- See All Swim or boat at your back door
- See All Is it a VT phtographer?
- Good seafood....served in salt air
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Wickford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE"
- "Roger Williams Was Here"
- "Wickford, The Most Charming Seaport Village"
- "Rhode Island's colonial-era gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wickford
- Hotels in Wickford
- Transportation in Wickford
- Restaurants in Wickford
- Shopping in Wickford
- See All...
Explore the World
- Amelia Island
- Nags Head Hotels
- La Romana
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Hotels
- Herndon Hotels
- Cape Town
- Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park Hotels
- Muhafazat al Bahr al Ahmar
- Harpers Ferry
- Avignon Hotels
Badges & Stats in Wickford
- 40 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Wickford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wickford
Photos in WickfordSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos