"PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE" Wickford by Pawtuxet
Wickford Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 134 photos
Old Americana pervades the village and all the little streets leading down to the water and west through the bogs. Wickford is far enough out of the way so that it hasn't been disturbed, yet it's close enough to the popular route from New York to Newport...so that it gets its fair share of tourists and summer visitors. The village has a lively assortment of gift shops, unusual clothing, antiques, clocks, books, dog ware, and gourmet food stores. Stop for lunch or ice cream....buy some fresh fish, or take home some of the luxuries of Wickford Gourmet. You won't be disappointed in this little town.
Here on Main Street you see shops with names such as Beauty and the Bath.....Different Drummer.
Just outside town there is a little street leading to the bay. Town beach is located here along with a small building which the Art Association of Wickford calls home. You will find a collection of local works (Wickford has a number of wonderful artists). This is the organization that presents the WICKFORD ART FESTIVAL in August each year. The streets are filled with artists both sides and they come from all over the United States to take part in this lively wonderful show which is carefully edited to be certain the talent is worthy.
Also found here is a community building and seniors meeting hall.
The beach is narrow but long enough for the size of the crowds... concession stand manned in summer months.
My friend and I enjoyed a unique winter day that was unusually warm..to breathe the clean air and absorb some sun.
Don't miss the docks where the fresh Quohaugs come in. RI is famous for this large shell fish which seems to be found only in our waters. The quohaugers...(men who dig the large hard shelled creatures) are an interesting lot. This is the unique little boat they use to work with. More in later tips.
- Pros:Enchanting little coastal village
- Cons:No bright lights, gambling casinos or Mac Donald's here !!
- In a nutshell:New England villager's delight
Wickford is fortunate to have a first class collection of 18th and 19th century homes - preserved and treasured for all... more travel advice
Just south of the Wickford village, you can visit another National HIstoric site. It's the birthplace of the most well... more travel advice
- See All A great kayak centre
- See All Is it a VT phtographer?
- Good seafood....served in salt air
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Wickford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE"
- "Roger Williams Was Here"
- "Wickford, The Most Charming Seaport Village"
- "Rhode Island's colonial-era gem"
- "A short visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wickford
- Hotels in Wickford
- Transportation in Wickford
- Restaurants in Wickford
- Shopping in Wickford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wickford
- 41 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Wickford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wickford
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: Krakow Airport ATM's"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lunch or ice cream...settle in for a while"
- updated a Wickford Travel Page "PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE"
- Wrote a Review Historic Preservation ~ houses dating from 1700's in Wickford Local Customs
- Commented on one of ForestqueenNYC's Wickford travel pages
Photos in WickfordSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues