"Warren, Rhode Island" Warren by Pawtuxet
Warren Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 14 photos
Warren, Rhode Island has a rich history of being a fishing village, a mill town, and now another life as a safe harbor for artists and antique dealers. The town is being restored in all directions. Organizations have sprung up to develop the arts community and offer tourist interests. It retains its history in its architecture, has a beautiful waterfront strip, and provides an interesting spot for poking about and antiqueing.
Each year there is a weekend set aside for the WARREN WALK ABOUT. Artists open their lofts and shops stay open all weekend. Fall and Halloween themes abound. It's a nice way to preview all that the merchants and artists have to offer so you can begin thinking of the Christmas holidays. Or...just to introduce yourself to the arts community of Warren. There is an Asian shop that had a version of a rickshaw out in front, so a friend decided we had to do a photo. Silly that it is. We had a nice day.
Warren developed from a fishing town where Portuguese fishermen worked and the community remained a blue collar town for many years. There was an aluminum industry, a luggage factory, and Blount Marine was known for the construction of boats and running their ferry boats for tours and parties. Well, Blount is still there, but when everything else left town, things got pretty depressed... and inexpensive. Enter the artists. So many artists in town now, doing restoration, opening interesting little businesses, designing all sorts of things... and enjoying loft space in inexpensive factory buildings.
It's a bit funky, but that's the kind of town I enjoy.
- Pros:Lively artists' community added to historical village
- Cons:Still needs more eateries and coffee shops, cafes...
- In a nutshell:Up and coming revival of a sweet New England town
My favorite is on Water Street and it's called Meeting House Antiques . The shop is full of early period antiques and... more travel advice
Andy is a member of a trio called White Squall. They perform in Warren from time to time, but are also heard at other... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Warren Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Warren
- Nightlife in Warren
- Restaurants in Warren
- Shopping in Warren
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warren
- 9 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Warren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warren
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues