"Providence....our Capitol City" Top 5 Page for this destination Providence by Pawtuxet
Providence Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 479 photos
Many speak of the renaissance of the City of Providence awakened after years of decline. Creative planners and designers moved rivers and opened vistas which had been hidden over time by asphalt and concrete. The result is glorious. The city has a vast collection of phenomenol architecture, ethnic restaurants, collegiate activities, unique theaters, and entertainment venues. If you visit Providence you will be surprised at how much is packed into such a small city.
Yes there are gondolas that drift along the river during the Waterfires evenings. There is no way to describe this event adequately. Everyone says the same thing. They couldn't have imagined what it would be like...or how it would smell...or how mesmerizing it all is. You simply must come and walk the lower sidewalks beside the river...under the bridges....and down to the basin while listening to the wonderful music that is designed especially for this event. Come and discover what thousands discover each summer.....Providence will capture your heart.
This is the Casino at Roger Williams Park. It was built as an elaborate dance hall where weddings and special events take place throughout the year. It overlooks the lakes and has a beautiful painted ceiling in the ballroom.
The park consists of over 300 acres of rolling hills and beautiful specimen trees all designed by the noted Landscape Architect, Cleveland...an associate of Olmstead (Central Park, NYC) ...similar style. The park also boasts an award winning zoo, the Museum of Natural History, a victorian Bandstand, the Temple to Music, 7 lakes, Betsy Williams Cottage and Lovers Retreat Bridge across from the Rose garden and gazebo. And there is more....
See my Rhode Island page for many more photos and tips...and my latest pics here of the newest addition to the park. They recently opened one of the largest Horticultural Centers in New England. So much to see, do and enjoy.
Horticultural Ctr. tips and pics begin in my OFF THE BEATEN PATH and continue in the TRAVELOGUE
We discovered a great Peruvian Restaurant in the city - check my restaurant tips for more..
Rhode Island has been blessed with some very prominent preservationists over the years, and several devoted their lives to establishing a significant number of National Historic Register districts and individually listed homes. The collection in Providence is unsurpassed almost anywhere in the country.
The Governor Lippitt house is another treasure which has been preserved and is open to the public for tours as well as available for special events, such as weddings.
Spend some time walking the East Side around Brown University and the RI School of Design and you will be astounded at the architecture...house after house after house.
FOR THE SHOPPERS IN THE CROWD THERE IS PROVIDENCE PLACE MALL...WHICH IS A FABULOUS AND ENORMOUS RECENT ADDITION TO OUR COLLECTION OF SIGNIFICANT ARCHITECTURE. NORDSTROM'S IS THE ANCHOR STORE...BUT MANY OTHER FAVORITES ARE INCLUDED.
FINISH THE DAY IN A WONDERFUL RESTAURANT....TOO MANY TO NAME HERE. WE ARE KNOWN FOR EXCELLENT AND VARIED NEUVO AND ETHNIC RESTAURANTS. AFTER ALL....WE ARE THE HOME OF JOHNSON & WALES CULINARY INSTITUTE AS WELL!
- Pros:Best restaurants, small enough to manage on foot
- Cons:parking can be a problem on East Side - downtown use a lot or garage
- In a nutshell:All around terrific for education,entertainment,architecture
Pot au Feu is a quality restaurant which has been in Providence for many years and holds the distinction of being Julia... more travel advice
The RI Historical Society can provide brochures for a self guided walking tour of the city or you can join one of their... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Providence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great place to live!"
- "Providence....our Capitol City"
- "Providence .... The Renaissance City"
- "Providence, Rhode island"
- "I live here"
- "Welcome to Providence, RI!"
- "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Providence
- Hotels in Providence
- Transportation in Providence
- Nightlife in Providence
- Restaurants in Providence
- Shopping in Providence
- Warnings and Dangers in Providence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Providence
- 33 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Providence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Providence
Photos in ProvidenceSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos