"PAWTUXET VILLAGE.....MY HOME" Pawtuxet by Pawtuxet
Pawtuxet Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 190 photos
Every year the village explodes with activity as the Gaspee Days celebration comes around. There are a variety of events... art festival, road race, colonial encampment, and of course, the Gaspee Days Parade. Nice family picnic afterwards tops off a wonderful sunny weekend.
Newport would be down the bay at about 12 o'clock in the aerial view. I live at about 3 o'clock .... the falls from the Pawtuxet River would be in the right hand lower corner and if you continued up the bay heading north... you would come into the Port of Providence. Pawtuxet Cove and the village are protected by the peninsula you see sheltering us...known as Pawtuxet Neck .. with homes looking into the cove or out to the Bay.
Pawtuxet is one of the oldest villages in New England and we still live a "village life" here. People recognize one another in the shops, we do things as a community (even tho we are part of two different municipalities) and folks here feel fortunate to have found this place - if they didn't grow up here.
I moved around the country before I realized how special this little place really is. We work to keep it that way. We are aggressive protectors of our environment, our historic buildings, and our way of life. I hope you will get a good "feel" for the place from my presentation here. Come to visit sometime. Don't expect bright lights and exciting blockbuster things to do... but be prepared to be very comfortable and warmly greeted.
COME TO THE HAYRIDE Click to jump to my Local Customs tips
PAWTUXET VILLAGE HOUSE & GARDEN TOUR A GREAT SUCCESS! CHECK OUT THE TRAVELOGUE
Our homestead pictured in the 1800's...probably following some "modernizations" of the house. We retain many of its original features, but it also exhibits a little bit of each generation who have been here since 1770, when it was built by an original Pawtuxet Ranger.
So THAT is what it means!! :-)
People ask me about my "name" on VT. It comes from the indian word meaning "little falls". We have a Pawtuxet River which empties into Pawtuxet Cove, then into Narragansett Bay and finally the Atlantic Ocean. Our village is known as Pawtuxet Village, but it is not an official entity. We straddle the cities of Warwick and Cranston. The river divides the cities.The sign at the river bank says "PAWTUXET RIVER ONE OF THE BOUNDS OF PROVIDENCE MENTIONED IN THE INDIAN DEED TO ROGER WILLIAMS" Now think about that...a deed. Roger Williams did NOT steal this land. Williams founded the state for religious freedom. He was pretty radical. Many of us still are!
- Pros:A village with a past....
- Cons:No national chain stores...No bright lights...
- In a nutshell:A growing, changing village that stays the same...
The cove on the northern edge of the village is called Stillhouse Cove. So named because the 1700's saw a lot of rum... more travel advice
We are historically a nautical community from the time of the triangular trades and large masted sailing ships. Today... more travel advice
- See All Architectural details
- See All varied eras of gardening, fences....
- See All My morning coffee at Little Falls
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Pawtuxet Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pawtuxet
- Hotels in Pawtuxet
- Transportation in Pawtuxet
- Nightlife in Pawtuxet
- Restaurants in Pawtuxet
- Shopping in Pawtuxet
- Warnings and Dangers in Pawtuxet
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pawtuxet
- 45 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 65 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Pawtuxet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pawtuxet
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: What to do around Washington DC"
- Uploaded a Photo to "PAWTUXET VILLAGE.....MY HOME"
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's Pawtuxet travel pages
- updated a Pawtuxet Travel Page "PAWTUXET VILLAGE.....MY HOME"
- Wrote a Review Walk the waterfront..sail a boat..watch the birds in Pawtuxet Local Customs
Photos in PawtuxetSee All Photos (144)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos