"PAWTUXET VILLAGE.....MY HOME" Pawtuxet by Pawtuxet

Pawtuxet Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 190 photos

Gaspee Days - extreme Americana

Every year the village explodes with activity as the Gaspee Days celebration comes around. There are a variety of events... art festival, road race, colonial encampment, and of course, the Gaspee Days Parade. Nice family picnic afterwards tops off a wonderful sunny weekend.

Colonial homes,music,parade,holidays,encampment !!

Newport would be down the bay at about 12 o'clock in the aerial view. I live at about 3 o'clock .... the falls from the Pawtuxet River would be in the right hand lower corner and if you continued up the bay heading north... you would come into the Port of Providence. Pawtuxet Cove and the village are protected by the peninsula you see sheltering us...known as Pawtuxet Neck .. with homes looking into the cove or out to the Bay.
Pawtuxet is one of the oldest villages in New England and we still live a "village life" here. People recognize one another in the shops, we do things as a community (even tho we are part of two different municipalities) and folks here feel fortunate to have found this place - if they didn't grow up here.
I moved around the country before I realized how special this little place really is. We work to keep it that way. We are aggressive protectors of our environment, our historic buildings, and our way of life. I hope you will get a good "feel" for the place from my presentation here. Come to visit sometime. Don't expect bright lights and exciting blockbuster things to do... but be prepared to be very comfortable and warmly greeted.

COME TO THE HAYRIDE Click to jump to my Local Customs tips

PAWTUXET VILLAGE HOUSE & GARDEN TOUR A GREAT SUCCESS! CHECK OUT THE TRAVELOGUE

~ PAWTUXET ~ our old homestead

Our homestead pictured in the 1800's...probably following some "modernizations" of the house. We retain many of its original features, but it also exhibits a little bit of each generation who have been here since 1770, when it was built by an original Pawtuxet Ranger.

So THAT is what it means!! :-)
People ask me about my "name" on VT. It comes from the indian word meaning "little falls". We have a Pawtuxet River which empties into Pawtuxet Cove, then into Narragansett Bay and finally the Atlantic Ocean. Our village is known as Pawtuxet Village, but it is not an official entity. We straddle the cities of Warwick and Cranston. The river divides the cities.The sign at the river bank says "PAWTUXET RIVER ONE OF THE BOUNDS OF PROVIDENCE MENTIONED IN THE INDIAN DEED TO ROGER WILLIAMS" Now think about that...a deed. Roger Williams did NOT steal this land. Williams founded the state for religious freedom. He was pretty radical. Many of us still are!

• Pros:A village with a past....
  • Cons:No national chain stores...No bright lights...
  • In a nutshell:A growing, changing village that stays the same...
  • Intro Updated Aug 27, 2012

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

OMG! Janet, this is an awesome page! I see now where you get your vt name from ... a town named after you. ;o)
    Hey mate... enjoyed the read, your pictures are just lovely and there are too many nice things about this page to comment on. You live in a great part of the world! Hugs, Ann xx

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

thank you for your visit to my village. I'll have to update and add more to the pages soon. We're doing fundraising for our ancient militia company (re-enactors) and their Armory... which we hope to turn into a mini museum with childrens' programming.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
      Mar 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Well that is something. It's good to see community involvement to keep the history of a place alive. Good job Janet! Hugs, Ann xx

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Janet, So sorry to read that dear Aussie has passed away. Always a heart breaking time, one I have been through many times. My thoughts are with you.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Thank you for your kind words. My Aussie girl was a treasure. We're hoping to find another Australian cattle dog mixed w/ miniature greyhound... their size, nature, intelligence and personality are all exactly what we need. Although there will never be another as wonderful as Australia.

• Jan 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Happy New Year Janet! Just saw that you were also 50 years married too - what a great achievement, congratulations!! Hope you are all keeping well? How is it 2013 already? Tomas & Ros

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Good to hear from you. Hope your year will be a happy, healthy one as well. You are on your way to 50 yrs. married...can you imagine? We're still scratching our heads.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 3:51 AM

been a while since i last visited your pages or even VT - where time runs too, Trust you are coping with time and life - a family wedding to Philadelphia is upcoming - meegwetch
    ;-)))

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2011 at 5:27 AM

You live is such a fantastic place of character and charm. The history of your home town is so fascinating. Your writings show how proud of it you are! Lovely page!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Hi, Janet! Thanks for your great story and pictures!

• flora1's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Never realized what a charming village you live in! It must be difficult to leave to go on your travels, and so good to come home to!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Back to check the latest updates to this charming page, Janet. Sailing lessons could be an interesting digression for you .... well, if not, maybe the social events. It really does seem a lovely place.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Enjoyed your newest tips. Love the vintage postcards and reading about the Rhodes--I think I was meant to be from an earlier era!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Updates since 'o7. Your pride of your Home Town shows through as it should. Why ever leave to go elsewhere? You have it all here...architecture, natural beauty, a lovely home, great little shops, friends, and a caring community.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Pawtuxet

Have you been to Pawtuxet?

Photos in Pawtuxet