"Many men remember Quonset/Davisville~No.Kingstown" North Kingstown by Pawtuxet
North Kingstown Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
Quonset - Davisville were two enormous military bases developed during WWII. The Seabees were at Davisville...next door to Quonset where the Navy housed air craft carriers, picket ships, and an airfield. Thousands of men went through this military facility for training or prior to deployment...including my husband who came to RI prior to being ordered to Antarctica. This is the reason we met and how so many men met RI women....often marrying them and eventually settling in RI. The facility was closed years ago and many civilian companies have moved in, but there are still remnants of the military left there. There is a Seabee museum as well as a Navy Air Museum. These military museums struggle to save those many memories of the Navy & Seabees' involvement in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam conflicts.
At the Navy Air Museum, volunteers are there daily trying to restore old aircraft which eventually were taken out of service, but have long histories of service. There are Skyawks, Corsair II, Grumman Intruder, the Bell Cobra helicopter, Anti Submarine Sakorsky Sea King helicopter and many more. For a full explanation of their mission and the planes with their individual stories...you can visit their web site, or better yet..go to see these veterans who try so hard to hold the planes and museum together.
Quonset Air Museum
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
North Kingstown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Narragansett Bay"
- "Many men remember Quonset/Davisville~No.Kingstown"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in North Kingstown
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to North Kingstown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Kingstown
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: What to do around Washington DC"
- Wrote a Review check the views from the beach nearby in North Kingstown Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Many men remember Quonset/Davisville~No.Kingstown"
- updated a North Kingstown Travel Page "Many men remember Quonset/Davisville~No.Kingstown"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's North Kingstown travel pages
Photos in North KingstownSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos