"NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by Pawtuxet
Newport Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,463 photos
Newport has a long and glorious history filled with romance, mystery, opulence and plenty of fun. A trip to Newport is never complete without a tour of at least ONE of the great mansions of the millionaires who used Newport as their summer playground as our nation was being built.... These men built the railroads and all the multi million dollar corporations of the time. The extravagance of their homes is unequalled ... Managed by the Preservation Society of Newport, you can tour one or all of the mansions, enjoy special events planned throughout the year, and day dream of what life must have been like...even for the children of these people.
Of course Newport has always had a nautical theme. From the wonderful beaches, to the sailing crowd, to the pleasure craft of the wealthy...all the way back to the triangular trade of its early years. You can find museums, specialty shops, and fishermen's barrooms here. It's definately a very salty town. And that calls for a beer!!
Such a charming place ot wander in and out of the shops to find just the right soulvenir...a treasure to bring to your home, or another T shirt to add to the collection. Lots of clubs, bars, eateries, formal restaurants...there is something here for everyone.
In addition to all that I have slipped into my pages, you can find the Tuoro Synagogue...the first in the nation. You can go antiqueing...explore the first State House, or even peek into the Tennis Hall of Fame! I simply cannot include it all....just GO!!
- Pros:Extraordinary collection of beautiful buildings and nature
- Cons:So much...and it does bring SO much traffic as well.
- In a nutshell:Experience Newport...you won't be disappointed
The tavern is dark...lit only with candles... as it would have been in the early 1700's. There are huge fireplaces, wide... more travel advice
The International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum is housed in a building which is a superb example of shingle style... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Newport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilded Age Mansions and More"
- "Newport Mansions and So Much More!"
- "NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA"
- "Newport, Rhode island"
- "Newport, Rhode Island"
- "A few days in Newport"
- "RNC REFUGEES 1st STOP"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newport
- Hotels in Newport
- Transportation in Newport
- Nightlife in Newport
- Restaurants in Newport
- Shopping in Newport
- Warnings and Dangers in Newport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newport
- 22 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Newport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newport
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: Restaurants in Jewish quarter"
- Commented on one of Gypsystravels's Newport travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The oldest tavern in America"
- updated a Newport Travelogue "More Mansions to choose from....."
- Wrote a Review The oldest tavern in America about White Horse Tavern in Newport Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos