"NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND ~ THE CITY BY THE SEA" Top 5 Page for this destination Newport by Pawtuxet

Newport Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,463 photos

ENTER THE GATES TO VANDERBILT'S SUMMER PLAYGROUND

Newport has a long and glorious history filled with romance, mystery, opulence and plenty of fun. A trip to Newport is never complete without a tour of at least ONE of the great mansions of the millionaires who used Newport as their summer playground as our nation was being built.... These men built the railroads and all the multi million dollar corporations of the time. The extravagance of their homes is unequalled ... Managed by the Preservation Society of Newport, you can tour one or all of the mansions, enjoy special events planned throughout the year, and day dream of what life must have been like...even for the children of these people.

City By the Sea

Of course Newport has always had a nautical theme. From the wonderful beaches, to the sailing crowd, to the pleasure craft of the wealthy...all the way back to the triangular trade of its early years. You can find museums, specialty shops, and fishermen's barrooms here. It's definately a very salty town. And that calls for a beer!!

Shop til you Drop

Such a charming place ot wander in and out of the shops to find just the right soulvenir...a treasure to bring to your home, or another T shirt to add to the collection. Lots of clubs, bars, eateries, formal restaurants...there is something here for everyone.
In addition to all that I have slipped into my pages, you can find the Tuoro Synagogue...the first in the nation. You can go antiqueing...explore the first State House, or even peek into the Tennis Hall of Fame! I simply cannot include it all....just GO!!

• Pros:Extraordinary collection of beautiful buildings and nature
  • Cons:So much...and it does bring SO much traffic as well.
  • In a nutshell:Experience Newport...you won't be disappointed
  • Last visit to Newport: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2011

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I'm making a list for our next visit!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Feb 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Hope you do get to Newport to enjoy all the great stuff to see and do in that beautiful city. Mansions to tennis hall of fame, beaches, shopping, restaurants, sailing, history, and more. I'll be looking for your pages!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2009 at 6:17 AM

Enjoyed my return visit to Newport - and what's not to like there? Quite intrigued by the stone tower. We've spoken about beachside shacks, but those take a lot of beating!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Outstanding updates, Janet. What an area this is. We were there once ages ago. I must return. Your excellent tips have whetted my appetite. Great coverage.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Janet - very nice Newport page. We'll be traveling to RI in June and appreciate your tips and pics. Tom

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM

What did Jay Gatsby say about the rich? Nice to see that you don't have to be rich to enjoy Newport these days. Chowdah for lunch sounds just perfect! leyle

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Janet, as usual lovely updates here! I loved Newport, it use to be my favorite city on the east coast up until recently....I think it deserves another chance thought, so maybe I'll visit real soon, probably before the summer crowds roll in.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Great new update on Newport. Maybe this will be the summer that I get back there.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Lovely Newport page. Lovely town.I visited it last year, and it is great to revisit it with you again.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Would love to live in the Mansion House = if I did I'd let everyone take photographs inside

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 9:45 PM

Great Newport page. Hope to go back next summer. Will stay away from the chowder at the Black Pearl though. Gained a lot of wait last summer becoming a chowder maven.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Newport

Have you been to Newport?