Kingston Things to Do Tips by Pawtuxet
Kingston Things to Do: 5 reviews and 14 photos
You'll see lots of those old stone walls around Kingston because of its rural nature. The entire state is pretty rocky...stoney... if it isn't sandy. Farmers and land owners cleared their land for gardens and fields...using the stones to build their boundaries. No mortar was used, but the walls remain for hundreds of years.
There are many sweet views and lanes to enjoy in the Kingston historic district.
If you are a student of American architecture... you would enjoy walking the streets of Kingston. From time to time there are organized tours, such as the one I enjoyed... but you could also visit the historical society building to pick up information about the old families and homes to enrich your stroll.
Rhode Island is a relatively flat state... and extremely coastal. That means we are an ideal place to bring your bicycle and travel for miles without concern for a lot of inclines. You could also plan a trip to include water views, seaside villages, marshland and rocky shores. Bring your bike. You can do a lot with it here.
The main "quad" or quadrangle of the University is a handsome vast space with sturdy stone buildings surrounding it. Students enjoy the open space of the university grounds... in addition to the playing fields which are further north and west of the quad. Farms and rural homesteads surround the school for miles around. It isn't far to get to a beach or the highway access... but most of the university is quite remote from the balance of our densely populated centers and towns.
The University of Rhode Island, commonly abbreviated as URI, is the principal public research university in the State Its main campus is in Kingston, with three other campuses located throughout the state, including Providence's Feinstein Campus, (where I took the majority of my classes) the Narragansett Bay Campus in Narragansett, and the W. Alton Jones Campus in West Greenwich. It is a land grant, sea grant, and urban grant institution. There are many well recognized areas of study at the university including the Colleges of Pharmacy and Nursing, and the Graduate School of Oceanography. Graduate degrees are offered in business, labor studies, and more.
You might want to check out the school of Oceanography website. The school of oceanography has some exciting history and programs.
The Kingston Hill Store has an interesting..if dusty... collection of old books which are worth a look if you are motoring through Kingston Village. The building is an early one, and the book store has been in existance for many years. You'll get a feel of the local atmosphere here.
Address: 2528 Kingstown Road, Kingston, RI 02881
Phone: 401 792 8662
More Reviews (2)
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Kingston Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Seven Sisters Hotels
- Christiansted Hotels
- Derby Hotels
- Kampong Poring Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kingston
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Kingston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kingston
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: What to do around Washington DC"
- updated a Kingston Travel Page "Rural, historic Kingston ~ Univ of Rhode Island"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rural, historic Kingston ~ Univ of Rhode Island"
- Wrote a Review Old stone walls... beautiful spring blossoms in Kingston Things to Do
Photos in KingstonSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos