"GALILEE ~ Tuna capitol, playground, Ferry port" Galilee by Pawtuxet
Galilee Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 33 photos
It is true. Because our coastline is so full of inlets and bays and coves... we have more miles of coastline in our tiny state than does the state of California. This pic was taken with family members at Galilee in Point Judith. It's the home of the Annual Tuna Tournament...and where you can catch the ferry to Block Island. There is a state beach here and restaurants and bars....many of which have views of the channel to watch the ferry and many local boats go in and out. Everyone waves from the ferry when they go by. Why do people do that? Don't know. Just a little fun thing. Be sure to investigate many of our beaches. Some have surf, some quiet and protected, some are rocky cliffs, some beaches have stone and shale....many different personalities. We have a beach for your every mood.
Champlin's is the place to go for fresh fish and wonderful lobster without the high prices. Sure you eat on paper plates at picnic tables...but you're in the fresh air watching fishing boats arriving, the ferry leaving, the seagulls circling...what else do you want on a summer day?
As you can see from the pic, people stand in line to go up on the deck for the terrific chowder, clam cakes, lobster, and a beer!
My husband and I were married in the chapel at Quonset Point, Rhode Island... the military base where he was stationed when I met him. The chapel was really sweet...small white wooden structure with an alter that rotated w/ each side designed to accomodate the different religions. I always thought that was a pretty good way to solve their problems for space.
Anyway... Quonset Point closed, the chapel was removed and all that remains is the little church spire which they positioned at Galilee and made a monument to our service people. My husband and dog are standing at the base of it. He tells everyone we go to Galilee with that this was the church we were married in. Even when they've heard the story 3 times... he tells them again.
- Pros:Great summer spot
- Cons:Traffic & parking are hateful on a real hot day
- In a nutshell:Sunny, sandy, salty, and delicious!
You can drive a coastal road from Galillee thru Narragansett and Wickford and all the way up to Pawtuxet Village, if you... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Galilee Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Galilee
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Galilee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galilee
Photos in GalileeSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos