"GALILEE ~ Tuna capitol, playground, Ferry port" Galilee by Pawtuxet

Galilee Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 33 photos

A PLAYGROUND, INDEED.

It is true. Because our coastline is so full of inlets and bays and coves... we have more miles of coastline in our tiny state than does the state of California. This pic was taken with family members at Galilee in Point Judith. It's the home of the Annual Tuna Tournament...and where you can catch the ferry to Block Island. There is a state beach here and restaurants and bars....many of which have views of the channel to watch the ferry and many local boats go in and out. Everyone waves from the ferry when they go by. Why do people do that? Don't know. Just a little fun thing. Be sure to investigate many of our beaches. Some have surf, some quiet and protected, some are rocky cliffs, some beaches have stone and shale....many different personalities. We have a beach for your every mood.

Lobster dripping with butter!!!

Champlin's is the place to go for fresh fish and wonderful lobster without the high prices. Sure you eat on paper plates at picnic tables...but you're in the fresh air watching fishing boats arriving, the ferry leaving, the seagulls circling...what else do you want on a summer day?
As you can see from the pic, people stand in line to go up on the deck for the terrific chowder, clam cakes, lobster, and a beer!

Unusual monument to our military ......

My husband and I were married in the chapel at Quonset Point, Rhode Island... the military base where he was stationed when I met him. The chapel was really sweet...small white wooden structure with an alter that rotated w/ each side designed to accomodate the different religions. I always thought that was a pretty good way to solve their problems for space.
Anyway... Quonset Point closed, the chapel was removed and all that remains is the little church spire which they positioned at Galilee and made a monument to our service people. My husband and dog are standing at the base of it. He tells everyone we go to Galilee with that this was the church we were married in. Even when they've heard the story 3 times... he tells them again.

• Pros:Great summer spot
  • Cons:Traffic & parking are hateful on a real hot day
  • In a nutshell:Sunny, sandy, salty, and delicious!
  • Last visit to Galilee: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2008

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 5:35 AM

A place I would be bound to enjoy as I love watching ferries and boats coming and going. A lovely location for a wedding!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Wow, how amazing to learn that Rhode Island has more costline than California! Galilee looks a wonderful location for a summer day! I am dreaming of lobsters...

• gaolei's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Beautiful photos! I love the ferry from Champlins!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Hi thanks for the visit to Galilee. I'm just back from Savannah w/ lots of pics and thoughts... and stories to tell. Hopefully I'll get some work done on the page this week. I'll keep you posted.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Great new page, beaches & lobster, what more could you want! Wonderful information & photos, thank you for sharing. :o)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Superior introduction that is both personal and informative. Such interesting places, and the lobster dripping with butter sounds astounding.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Galilee

Have you been to Galilee?

Latest Activity in Galilee