"Central Falls ~ Blackstone River Corridor" Central Falls by Pawtuxet
Central Falls Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 51 photos
Central Falls has the reputation of being very small, very heavily populated, very poor, and well...not a garden spot. However it is part of the Blackstone River Nationally recognized corridor....where you can explore some of the history of the area while gliding along in a silent river boat on a hot day...with a nice breeze.
Central Falls is located next to Pawtucket, Rhode Island...just north of Providence and there are a series of rivers, waterfalls, old mills, and historic sites which you have to poke around to find. Poke we did, today...and had a lovely boat cruise on the river. This area is the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and our mills grew and churned for many years until at one time we were the largest textile manufacturing center in the world. At one time we also claimed to be the biggest costume jewelry manufacturing center as well. Many mills throughout the northeast..now being converted into condominiums or torn down.....but along the Blackstone River, they are trying to retain the memory of those early years when the Browns and the Chace families got the wheels turning. You should also try to visit the Worker's Museum in Woonsocket and the Slater Mill in Pawtucket. Between the two, you will get the full story of the birth of the industrial revolution as well as the story of the immigrants who came to work the mills at the turn of the century.
Oh! Please do not confuse Pawtucket with Pawtuxet. Two different animals altogether. Pawtucket is north of Providence, while Pawtuxet is my village to the south of Providence.
Pawtucket and Central Falls operate closely because Central Falls is a city that is only one square mile! Many of our cities and towns are quite small, but this one....well, it's pretty extraordinarily small.
OK....so let's just get on the boat and take a ride through all this territory.
Heritage Festivals are common in Rhode Island as we are such a melting pot of nationalities here. The Polish people of Central Falls' St. Joseph's Parish celebrated their heritage recently, so we went off for a Sunday afternoon of Polkas and Pierogi.
Our guide told us that at one time the Blackstone River was the dirtiest river in the US. They've been working on changing that...and hope to have it up to a Class B river by 2015, I believe. It isn't easy to reverse the course of events after that much manufacturing took place for so many years...and noone had very much respect for the river. Now since the Clean River Act there is real progress and it is up to a Class C river. Here we see a man fishing in the river. They still recommend that you throw the fish back when you catch one...cause of the sediments that remain at the bottom. Looks like this man is having a nice Sunday afternoon regardless of the water quality.
- Pros:a town with hidden secrets
- Cons:ya gotta dig through to find the good stuff
- In a nutshell:Stay with the Blackstone Corridor list of sites to see
I spotted a small sign on the building across the street from the church and festival. Clearly everyone was heading in... more travel advice
"It was at the close of the 19th century, at a time when the weaving industry in New England began to prosper, that the ... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Central Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Central Falls ~ Blackstone River Corridor"
- "SueRivet's new Central Falls Page"
- "Hasbro and Blackstone Falls"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Central Falls
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Central Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Central Falls
Photos in Central FallsSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos