"Bristol ~ by the Bay" Bristol by Pawtuxet
Bristol Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 96 photos
Bristol is on the "east bay", as we say in Rhode Island. Some of us are on the "west bay" and altho the two sides are not very far away....many Rhode Islanders will hesitate to spend time on 'the other side'. Not me. I find any excuse to go to Bristol and Warren...two of my favorite towns to poke around in.
Bristol's street plan was laid out in 1680, but the majority of the striking architecture is from the 1800's. Often billed as America's most patriotic town, Bristol is home to the country's oldest Fourth of July parade. Crowds pour in from all over the country...but the best time to see the decorated homes and businesses are the days just prior to the parade. No traffic..everything fresh, clipped, and readied for the TV cameras.
Bristol enjoys fame for being the home of the Herreshoff boat builders. Here is where the America's Cup racers were built and there is an America's Cup Hall of Fame and Marine Museum for those who enjoy the wind in their sails.
Actor Anthony Quinn lived in Bristol.... but many movie stars have enjoyed Bristol's hospitality and winds off the bay. Generations of Colts and DeWolfs entertained numerous movie stars and U.S. Presidents at Linden Place. (Colt is of the 'Colt 45 revolver' fame.)
There is a great bike path which hugs the shoreline and passes through Colt State Park before ending at the town's harbor.
For me there is the water, the eateries, antique shops, wonderful architecture, great decorations for the 4th of July.....and lazy sunny days.
Downtown Bristol has some really magnificent architecture for such a little town...inclulding the mansion which is now known as Linden Place, and owned by the historic society. Get your camera ready if you like good architecture. Russell Warren, the architect, is responsible for much of the wonderful 1800's architecture here. Some of the best Greek Revival you'll find anywhere.
Captain Nathaniel Greene Herreshoff and his manufacturing company were responsible for cutting edge boat building for many years. The first U.S. Navy torpedo boat, as well as mammoth schooner yachts and the principal one design racers of the New York Yacht Club were designed and built by the Herreshoffs. The legend's most significant record is the Herreshoff construction of eight consecutive successful defenders of the America's Cup from 1893 - 1934.
Billed as the "Old Seaport House Tour" , the Bristol Historical & Preservation Society outdid themselves again this year with a fabulous collection of homes and gardens for their fall house tour. Homes ranged from an 1800's stone mansion to a very small wood frame "housewright's house" w/ parts from the 1700's. Each house had a very unique character to it.. many had amazing gardens... some overlooked sparkling water views...every one was a joy to tour.
Don't miss my travelogue for additional pics of the tour. You might want to enlarge some of these pics to catch all the great ideas these decorators and gardeners demonstrated. Enjoy the new tips...and some of the old ones.
- Pros:Charming seaside community
- Cons:definately off the beaten path and quiet
- In a nutshell:a joy!!
I can't resist giving you more of the House Tour with all its joys. The mansard roof home (pic 1) was designed by my... more travel advice
Old World Garden Tour Bristol has become home to many Portuguese immigrants over the years. Some from the island of... more travel advice
Written Oct 1, 2009
2009 House Tour
Written Oct 7, 2009
Old World Gardens of Bristol
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Bristol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bristol ~ by the Bay"
- "Bristol, RI"
- "School Daze..."
- "Bristol, Rhode Island"
- "~ Bristol, R.I. ~"
- "Life... done slowly... in Who-Ville"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bristol
- 31 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Bristol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bristol
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: TRAIN OR PLANE FROM WARSAW TO..."
- updated a Bristol Travelogue "Old World Gardens of Bristol"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Portuguese homes of Bristol"
- Wrote a Review MORE of... House Tour 2009 in Bristol Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Bristol travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos