Block Island Things to Do Tips by Pawtuxet Top 5 Page for this destination
Block Island Things to Do: 7 reviews and 14 photos
You can find the Block Island Fishworks for bait & tackle....466-5392 on Ocean Av in New Harbor
How about a fishing charter? Linesider Fishing Charters call Capt. Eric Gustafson at 401/439-5386 or www.linesiderfishing.com
there are others ... some of which specialize in children and their parents... whatever you are looking for in the way of fishing, you are sure to find it on this island.
A couple of us said we'd probably we'd probably be too chicken to take this ride....while a couple of others in the group have done it in Key West and loved it. Then there are those of us who would rather jump out of an airplane..... I won't tell you which members have each of these choices. Can you guess?
You must get fabulous views up there.
The bluffs of Block Island have been in the news quite a bit because of the erosion problems of an island. In fact there is a famous light house that had to be moved back inland a number of feet in order to save it from falling into the ocean. The bluffs and lighthouse are popular destinations if you are renting a moped or a bicycle...or if you want a good long hike. Lots of wonderful nature to see all over the island.
Of course there are many beaches on the island. I always prefer the quiet ones tucked away, but in my younger days I would have loved the beach at the Ballard's Restaurant and Bar. The bar is a hot spot for the younger set....and the beach is a spit of land jutting out into the ocean. What a spot for a sun lover and no doubt a great spot to find fun loving party dolls.
Directions: Turn left off the ferry and walk as far as you can. You'll be at Ballard's. You don't need a taxi or bike to get there.
There is a wonderful vegetable garden out behind the Manaseese Hotel. Veggies are often used in the restaurant. This trip we found a fabulous little garden in front of a sweet gift shop. The store owner is from NYC but opted for a quieter life where she now designs and produces great gift items made from vintage fabrics. It's worth a stop. Garden is precious....shop is fascinating....people are very pleasant to speak with.
Notice the way they edged their garden w/ glass wine bottles turned upside down! Love it. Very creative gardening folks. You'll find them on the hill just above the Manaseese.
The farm is growing out behind the Manaseese Hotel. On our current trip we saw animals we didn't know the name of. Of course the chickens, goat, llama, and cows are still there...but now there is an EMU ! Several strange looking creatures seemed to entertain the kids and adults. There are signs with explanations about the animals.
Moped rentals almost poke you in the nose when you get off the boat. There are actually about 3 or 4 moped rental businesses within walking distance of the boat. Some vendors will give you a coupon for a $10 discount or they will include a free drink with your rental, etc. We really wanted to rent mopeds, but unfortunately everything was sold out and there were 6 of us in our party. I would recommend that you make arrangements ahead of time or as soon as you get off the boat in order to insure that you will have a bike available. Bicycles are plentiful and they even rent bicycles built for two. My son checked on a boat rental but they were quite expensive and we weren't certain about the waters and rocks in the area.
More Reviews (14)
- See All Great porch dining
- Clubs & plenty of partying
- See All another great view
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Block Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Block Island....great getaway!"
- "Marc's Block Island Page"
- "Block Island"
- "Road Trip 2004"
- "Somewhere off the coast of RI"
- "china-girl's new Block Island page"
- "Really fun place, lots of mudslides!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Block Island
- Hotels in Block Island
- Transportation in Block Island
- Nightlife in Block Island
- Restaurants in Block Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Block Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pulau Babi Tengah Hotels
- Le Port-Marly
- Santa Maria Capua Vetere Hotels
- Yongin Hotels
- Mardin Ili Hotels
Badges & Stats in Block Island
- 21 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Block Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Block Island
Photos in Block IslandSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos