"PHILADELPHIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia by Pawtuxet

Philadelphia Travel Guide: 2,096 reviews and 4,059 photos

Let's take a tour of the city!

Philadelphia is a collection of wonderful neighborhoods of all sizes, vintage, and description. I found the city to be very "human" in much of its scale...and rather quiet by comparison to Boston or New York. It never gave me the feeling of density, altho it is a major city. There are sky scrapers, but they don't overwhelm and there are many 2 and 3 story buildings, small shops, strings of row houses to contribute to the liveability of the city. There are many sites, restaurants, clubs, and museums to keep you busy...along with several open space parks dotting the center...and, of course, the rivers...which add to the serenity of things. You can find your excitement and noise, hustle and bustle...but it never seems to jump in your face. I understand that there are many complaints about crime...but I didn't feel endangered when I was there. Maybe I'm getting accustomed to wandering through strange cities.

Thaddeus Koscuszko

Thaddeus was a leader in the American Revolution...then returned to his native Poland to lead a revolution. Later exiled, he lived in this Philadelphia house in 1797.
Historic sign markers guide you through the city's history and they are very well done. The history of Philadelphia seems evident most everywhere I went.

Reading Terminal Market

The old railroad terminal was transformed into a busy marketplace with every imagineable food for lunch or take out. It's the mix and hustle and bustle of Philadelphia all rolled into one mammoth building.

• Pros:A city full of neighborhoods ~ one for every taste
  • Cons:Never enough time to see them all
  • In a nutshell:A very diverse city in a human scale.
  • Last visit to Philadelphia: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2004

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2011 at 10:48 PM

The Warsaw Cafe recently closed. It was opened in 1976 and I miss it already.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I enjoyed your Philly pages..its been a long timr since i've been there. ...I just adopted a rescue puppy as well.She's a joy .We call her Maxie. Love Aussie's story.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Great updates, Janet of my place of birth. Thanks for dropping by a few of my old ditties too.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 5:27 AM

An interesting and liveable looking place, Janet. Now, what happens if some miscreant proves to be hopeless at murals? A matter of interest, the highest mountain in Oz is named after Kosziuscko.i

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 5:28 PM

We went to Manayunk for lunch today - it was hard to believe I was still in Philly. I'll have to go back there...with a camera next time ;-) Very nice Philly page - congrats, Janet!

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 4:50 AM

Great Philly page Janet... I loved visiting there... Reading terminal market was especially great... ALL THAT FOOD... hmmm Thanks for sharing!!! Hope you're well. Gareth.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 3:31 AM

very nice and informative page. i'll be heading that way myself in september. very much looking forward to it.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 4:45 PM

Fantastic page, great architecture, lovely Polish reataurant and... good traffic police :-) Urszula welcomes you to the most authentic Polish borsch :-))) Have a great weekend! SMILE :-)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2005 at 1:23 AM

Who would have thought that this city has so many little precious secrets? Thoroughly enjoyed your tips - thanks for sharing / Jess

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 6:21 AM

Hi there. Planning to visit North America, am at lost at where to go! Can you help? What's ur favorite sttates?

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Philadelphia

Have you been to Philadelphia?

Latest Activity in Philadelphia