"PHILADELPHIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia by Pawtuxet
Philadelphia Travel Guide: 2,096 reviews and 4,059 photos
Philadelphia is a collection of wonderful neighborhoods of all sizes, vintage, and description. I found the city to be very "human" in much of its scale...and rather quiet by comparison to Boston or New York. It never gave me the feeling of density, altho it is a major city. There are sky scrapers, but they don't overwhelm and there are many 2 and 3 story buildings, small shops, strings of row houses to contribute to the liveability of the city. There are many sites, restaurants, clubs, and museums to keep you busy...along with several open space parks dotting the center...and, of course, the rivers...which add to the serenity of things. You can find your excitement and noise, hustle and bustle...but it never seems to jump in your face. I understand that there are many complaints about crime...but I didn't feel endangered when I was there. Maybe I'm getting accustomed to wandering through strange cities.
Thaddeus was a leader in the American Revolution...then returned to his native Poland to lead a revolution. Later exiled, he lived in this Philadelphia house in 1797.
Historic sign markers guide you through the city's history and they are very well done. The history of Philadelphia seems evident most everywhere I went.
The old railroad terminal was transformed into a busy marketplace with every imagineable food for lunch or take out. It's the mix and hustle and bustle of Philadelphia all rolled into one mammoth building.
- Pros:A city full of neighborhoods ~ one for every taste
- Cons:Never enough time to see them all
- In a nutshell:A very diverse city in a human scale.
This was one of my favorites. It's located on Elfreth's Alley, but there are so many interesting row houses in... more travel advice
Once again we see a well designed sign to give us information about the building we are in front of. See other tips for... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Philadelphia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fantastic Philly! My homebase."
- "PHILADELPHIA--Brotherly Love And More"
- "Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley"
- "City of Brotherly Love"
- "I LIKE my history with a shot and a beer!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philadelphia
- Hotels in Philadelphia
- Transportation in Philadelphia
- Nightlife in Philadelphia
- Restaurants in Philadelphia
- Shopping in Philadelphia
- Warnings and Dangers in Philadelphia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philadelphia
- 31 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Philadelphia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philadelphia
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos