"New Hope, Pennsylvania ~ bordering New Jersey" Top 5 Page for this destination New Hope by Pawtuxet
New Hope Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 165 photos
New Hope is pretty much the story of transportation over the years. It was first known for its ferry operation across the Delaware to Lambertville. Both towns were important stops along the way from NYC to Philadelphia. Business sprang up along the route, and Lambertville Station was a major stage coach stop. The Delaware Bridge Co. built a covered bridge in 1814, and the bridge was eventually built of steel in 1904...and stands today for foot and auto traffic. A canal system developed to carry coal through the corridor. The canals were hand dug by Irish immigrants...about 60 miles of them. Goods could be shipped along the waterway by barge. Eventually the Belvidere Delaware Railroad began laying track, and passenger service began in 1851. Trolleys developed in the early 1900's, but eventually with the popularity of the automobile, the trolleys faded away to the roads filled with cars as we have today.
The old steam engine still begins its journey at New Hope, carrying tourists on a sightseeing tour of the county.
The barge has been remembered in the Olivia Morgan, carrying tourists along the canal by mule power.
About the only transportation not represented here is the airplane. Otherwise...enjoy the relics of each of the older transportation systems all within a few blocks of very attractive and walkable byways.
A broad sidewalk takes the traveller across the Delaware to the New Jersey side of the river, sharing the bridge with auto traffic. It's quite scenic here. You can watch the boat and jet ski traffic below as you walk along.
This pic is worth enlarging....for its peacefulness...and a view of the mules pulling along the canal. Railroad buildings to the left...as the tracks are only a few feet away.
It's so serene here...especially compared to the crowds in the business district close by.
- Pros:Wonderful landscape and quaint architecture
- Cons:Crowds and expensive prices
- In a nutshell:Try to visit slightly off season...try a train,boat, lunch
Many lovely spots to stop for lunch or plan for dinner. I'm not sure the food could equal the garden color here... more travel advice
New Hope & Ivyland Railroad steams through the hills and valleys of Bucks County starting from the old train station on... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
New Hope Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Hope, Pennsylvania ~ bordering New Jersey"
- "New Hope... A unique art village"
- "Village of artists on the river"
- "A great weekend away"
- "New Hope - An Eclectic Village"
- "Antiquer's Paradise"
- "New Hope, PA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Hope
- Hotels in New Hope
- Transportation in New Hope
- Nightlife in New Hope
- Restaurants in New Hope
- Shopping in New Hope
- Warnings and Dangers in New Hope
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Hope
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to New Hope?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Hope
Photos in New HopeSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos