"LANCASTER COUNTY" Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster by Pawtuxet

Lancaster Travel Guide: 255 reviews and 343 photos

Soft hills of Lancaster County

We covered a good portion of the county, and of course visited Intercourse, Blue Balls, and some of the obvious attractions. However, I would have to say that the joy of this part of the country is definately in the small personal treasures to be found at local vegetable stands, at chance encounters, and quiet moments at dusk.

Old Order Amish.....plain people

I miss the sound of the clip clop which you hear on a regular basis in Lancaster County....so much so that I thought something was missing when I left. The Amish and Mennonite population moves quietly about amidst all the tourist hub-bub, weaving a peacefulness all around them as they go......

Good evening!

These "girls" were so friendly I couldn't believe it. Maybe they thought I had something to eat?? I found them on a quiet farm road around 6 in the evening....when they were clearly bored and looking for someone to talk to. :-)
So many wonderful animals on the back roads. I have a travelogue of many that I met along the way.

• Pros:Peaceful, beautiful,clean,quiet,pure, delicious
  • Cons:We can't photograph those beautiful faces
  • In a nutshell:Ya gotta love it !
  • Last visit to Lancaster: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 28, 2005

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 10:22 PM

We spent some time in the area last year. It's such a beautiful part of the country. I love the covered bridges, jams, & pies!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM

With friends living in Lancaster County it's one place in the US I've visited often - I just LOVE Ephrata - one of my all-time favourite places anywhere, a real must-see for anyone heading that way.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 7:45 AM

Nice page, Janet. You are right - the Cloisters do remind me a bit of Brugge.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Hi Janet, Interesting Page, I thought I should find out a little about Lancaster, as we stay overnight in June.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 4:28 AM

I was in Lancaster as a child traveling with the family. I' wouldn't mind going back as an adult. You have a completely different perspective when your in your 40s then when you are 6 or 7.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 9:12 AM

It was nice to revisit your Lancaster page--the Amish add such a unique dimension to one's visit here. You can see their touch everywhere...nice tips,Janet.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 3:51 PM

This looks a really charming area - but it would be a mistake for us to go there: I'd never get my wife out of the quilt shops. :-)

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 8:20 AM

The B&B where we stayed in Hershey offered meals with an Amish family. They are becoming quite the business people. I have never done that and may have to check out the churchtown B&B.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2005 at 12:56 PM

I think you described me in there when you had a tip about why people went to Intercourse (ahem...). I hadn't realised you could get Buggy rides there and eat with the Amish. Nice page!

• edachsund's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 9:33 AM

I havent got much time to build up my lancaster page though, but I found your page is more astounishing. excellent! the amish is so cool and laid back. I love it.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Lancaster

Have you been to Lancaster?

Latest Activity in Lancaster