" LONG ISLAND " Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island by Pawtuxet

Long Island Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 375 photos

EXPLORING RURAL NORTH FORK....

Wineries, farms, coves, beaches, boats, farmers, tractors, and amazing vegetables! It's all about growing and eating and drinking...all of which can be done quite well in North Fork.
I found a sweet cottage on Reeve's Inlet. . . couldn't have asked for a better environment. Like to fish? Got a boat? You could motor right up to one of their little docks and rent a cottage...fish for dinner every night. Fish jumping by the dozens. Could they be manhaden?
A few little towns, antique shops, historic home museums along the way, but basically quiet and rural....and truly beautiful.
Brought home a trunk full of wine...yet barely scratched the surface when it came to exploring all that North Fork offers. They surely have some wine that you would enjoy.
I'll tell you more....

Off to the tasting rooms!

There must be over 40 vineyards in this spit of land....which is narrow and long...water on the north and south...lots of moisture in the air....no wonder everything grows like crazy! Seemed humid the whole time I was there and yet it was October.
Some of the vineyards are interesting to visit cause of their wonderful patios and tasting rooms...porches..or other spaces devoted to relaxation while you enjoy a bottle of their best Merlot.

Find a quiet corner, kick back and relax...

Took me a long time to search out a special place to stay, but I finally found J&S Reeve Cottages. When I'm travelling alone I'm exceptionally fussy about where I stay and require cooking facilities so I don't have to wait for my coffee in the morning...or run out to a restaurant if I feel like lounging. Be sure to check out all the pics of this wonderful accomodation under my "hotel" tips. This is one I would highly recommend.
YOU REALLY SHOULD CLICK ON THIS PIC. WHAT A SPOT!

• Pros:Restful and delicious
  • Cons:Took some time to find the good restaurants
  • In a nutshell:A perfect place for a wine tasting getaway
  • Last visit to Long Island: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM

It has been years since being here, so your comments refreshes the memory. What a contrast to the Utah/Arizona wilderness I was just at.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Hi, Janet! ~ I see it's a wonderful spot indeed! Thanks for your nice page!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 3:38 AM

Country stores are great fun - like Long Island more now that I'm a little older - never went there when I lived in the city - only enroute to Fire Island.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 4:51 AM

South Africa has some pretty good wines too.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 5:01 AM

What a lovely area for wine tasting, relaxing, watching wildlife, and eating. My kind of place.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 6:35 AM

I would love to see the farm stands..

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 6:22 AM

Great page Janet. As many times as I have been on the island I never got the chance to explore.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I like the idea of finding that peaceful spot in the countryside to explore--your photo encounter with the animals was sweet...browsing the shops and sampling the restaurants sounds great to me, too!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 12:24 PM

What an excellent place to go to "get away". The cottage is darling. Great tips on shots, food, and cottages. Beautiful photographs, too.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Beautiful opening shot on your intro page! 40 wineries...amazing! I hope to get out here some day and it is good to see that California doesn't have the corner on the market! Too boring if we did.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Long Island

Have you been to Long Island?

Latest Activity in Long Island