"Picturesque Peterborough" Peterborough by Pawtuxet

Peterborough Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 20 photos

Chasing Antiques in New Hampshire

Our trip to Peterborough was a one day excursion to find some antique hardware needed for old doors in our front hallway which is being restored at present. When it comes to finding pieces and parts for a 1740 house, it isn't always easy...but sometimes the search is half the fun. There is a story that goes with almost everything in the house by the time you are finished.
At any rate, the town of Peterborough is charming, quiet, beautifully cared for...a little capsule of time preserved.
The drive up through Massachusetts is lovely. We used the Map Quest's directions which were complicated but beautiful scenery. We were west of Interstate 495 all the way up to NH.

1700's hardware ~ not easy to find

Here's a taste of the hardware we were in search of. I hope the information on this page will help someone else who is restoring an early colonial.

• Pros:Quiet, well preserved, charming
  • Cons:Not easy to get to...certainly off the beaten path
  • In a nutshell:Take a deep breath......relax.
  • Last visit to Peterborough: May 2007
  • Intro Updated May 31, 2007

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I sure would enjoy Peterborough, especially your "cool spot by the river"! Peterborough Diner sounds wonderful, too. But, the most fun to read about was the antique hardware seller and his unique service for antique buffs.

• Mar 21, 2008 at 12:37 PM

I'm a huge antique collector myself. While living in Massachusetts, my family & I would make frequent trips into NH for flea markets, yard sales, & antique stores. Never made it to Peterborough though.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Ah yes, finding parts that are no longer 'on the shelf' can be difficult - but when they're 200+ years...!! A pleasant day's outing looks to have been a bonus.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Any Chance you could make it to the Portsmouth meet? We would love to see you there!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Joe Brennan sounds like a godsend! How handy. He must have so many interesting stories of how he came by certain objects :) Thanks for a lovely page Janet!

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 12:59 PM

And ? have you found what you were looking for ? Maybe you should come over to my antique market in september :)

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 11:36 AM

you're right, Janet. Who DOESN'T love a diner? Ummm Ummm, diner burgers and fries, maybe with a milkshake?

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 6:52 AM

Joe's treasure trove of parts sure came in handy for your repair job--we could have used him when we lived in Pennsylvania!

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Peterborough

Have you been to Peterborough?

Latest Activity in Peterborough