"Quiet little mill town ~ Harrisville" Harrisville by Pawtuxet
Harrisville Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos
We took a ride to Harrisville, New Hampshire. Driving from our home in Rhode Island we were travelling north west through a maze of winding little roads with long directions from Map Quest. The mission was to find an old mill where they still make wonderful weaving looms and create fabulous yarns.
Lessons are given at the mill and there is a colorful store on the first floor where you can find anything from silk to wool to alpaca.... ready for your knitting or weaving.
The 19th century mill buildings contain artists lofts, manufacturing businesses and 21st century entrepeneurs.
The early settlers were a self sufficient breed and used waterpower to run their small mills.
and that's about it. We walked the main "square" area and sat by the library which is built just about on top of the pond.
There is an old boat house which must house canoes and such... built at the edge of the pond.
Lots of brick buildings and peaceful sunny vistas.
- Pros:Serene, picturesque, and well preserved
- Cons:Not much to entertain unless you are into bikes, walking or weaving
- In a nutshell:Very sweet little town -
Seeing this lake and the autumn leaves... you know why they chose this spot to settle in and build their homes and mill.... more travel advice
Founded in 1844, the brick architecture mimics that of the rest of the town...all of which must have been built by the... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Harrisville Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Harrisville
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Harrisville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harrisville
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos