"Westport and her hidden secrets...." Westport Point by Pawtuxet
Westport Point Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 47 photos
Westport was so named because it was the westernmost port in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, first settled in 1670. The town is now mostly residential, with a large farming community. Horseneck Beach located to the north and west of Gooseberry Beach is a popular summer destination for many in the area. There are several unofficial localities within the town including Head of Westport, South Westport and Westport Point.
We ventured out in that direction on my birthday for a family day of exploration to find the brewery, winery and great beaches which would tempt us to return in the summer sun.
You can find a variety of waterfront venues here. We particularly loved the rocky town beach filled with fabulous stones that made us want to load up the car and take them home to our gardens. But the sand dunes of Horseneck Beach would be alluring in summer months, where we remembered visiting years earlier when we could cook on a hibachi while protected from the wind amongst the huge mounds of sand.
How about kayaking down a lazy little river? Colorful craft can be rented in this little corner.
Of course you find fishing boats as well as pleasure boats at the docks in Westport. Very lively as the warmer months arrive.
The tasting room at the winery was warmed by a pleasant fireplace on this cold, windy day. Belly up to the bar and sign on for a selection of the local tastings.
- Pros:Peaceful, rural, coastal, restful
- Cons:Limited facilities and businesses.... plan to relax
- In a nutshell:A Natural Delight !
Farmer's Market is open in season on Mondays from 2 - 5 pm. Be sure you look for the heirloom tomatoes and Lyn Keith's... more travel advice
We didn't have the time to explore the Sanctuary at Allens Pond, but there is so much beautiful nature in Westport, that... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Westport Point Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Westport Point
- Restaurants in Westport Point
- Shopping in Westport Point
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Westport Point
- 14 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Westport Point?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westport Point
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos