"Day trip to Waltham ~ Mother's Day Plant Sale" Top 5 Page for this destination Waltham by Pawtuxet
Waltham Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 72 photos
The Lyman Estate is owned by HISTORIC NEW ENGLAND, previously known as the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. They own a number of sites and historic houses throughout the New ENgland area..and each is unique and wonderful. I can do a day trip to most of them. Today was Mother's Day and my daughter and I like to go off to a garden center and have lunch along the way...so the choice this year was Lyman Estate Greenhouses for their spring Herb Sale.
Gorgeous weather... nice ride ... time to chat about a zillion things. Lovely day.
In 1793 the Boston merchant, Theodore Lyman acquired 400 acres of farmland and built himself and his family a summer home. (lucky Theodore!) The grounds are laid out in an English manner with a deer park, greenhouses, gardens, and a working farm. The greenhouses are the oldest in the country. There are grape cuttings from the royal gardens of Hampton Court, c.1880's.
The mansion itself is available for weddings and special occasions. There are several plant sales held throughout the season. I was encouraged by one of the workers to return in February for their spectacular Camelias.
Of course we gathered some herb plants while we were at Lyman's. I also brought home a Hosta I have been searching for.... more travel advice
The grounds of the estate are wonderful. There are probably more areas to be seen, but we concentrated on the... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Waltham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waltham, Ma.- My Adopted City"
- "Day trip to Waltham ~ Mother's Day Plant Sale"
- "My Boston area hotel"
- "We stayed here for the hotel"
- "Good food!"
- "The Watch City"
- "I REALLY DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS PLACE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waltham
- Hotels in Waltham
- Nightlife in Waltham
- Restaurants in Waltham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waltham
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Waltham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waltham
- Posted in Travel Lithuania Forum "Does anyone know about Kovno?"
- Commented on one of fdrich29's Waltham travel pages
- Wrote a Review Collect some herbs for your summer garden in Waltham Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walk the grounds of Lyman's estate"
- updated a Waltham Travel Page "Day trip to Waltham ~ Mother's Day Plant Sale"
Photos in WalthamSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos