"Rockport... worth doing again and again" Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport by Pawtuxet

Rockport Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 304 photos

Rockport - makes me feel good

Just back from another great trip to Rockport. This time I brought my niece, the artist, with me. Very different experience to spend time in galleries, photographing things to paint in the future, and sitting in the sun taking painting lesson. No shopping or touristy things this time. Just enjoying the nature, architecture, and endless beautiful vistas. So glad Beth enjoyed Rockport and Gloucester as much as I always did. Need to plan a return trip in the fall for a special exhibit of the old masters coming to the Gloucester Art Assoc. Gallery.
_______________________
Rockport is always comfortable and rewarding for me whether I go pre-season, mid season or end of season. I find endless things to do and see.
Scenery for photographers, good fresh fish, terrific shopping, friendly people, and the sophistication of their newest theater. You can find many art galleries, go on a sunset sail, rent a kayak, walk several different beaches... or just find a bench or rock and sit in that wonderful sun.

Imagine all the stories these walls would tell if they could. Hundreds of people wander through Rockport on tour busses and vacationing every year. Just about every one of them takes a picture of this wonderful old fishing shack scituated prominently at the head of the small basin which is literally in the heart of the town.

Galleries of Rockport

The Rockport Art Association is on the main street and open daily. You can browse or buy.... no pressure.

Coves and Lighthouses

Driving from Gloucester or Manchester to Rockport - you can find a number of coves and beaches.
On this trip Beth and I chased many lighthouses.So many inlets that we were challenged to find which little road led to a good vantage point. The only lighthouse we never could get a good shot of was on Ten Pound Island in Gloucester harbor. We loved the name.
Other lighthouses kept us busy and happy.

• Pros:Crashing ocean, peaceful coves, great seafood, artists' colonies...sunshine!!
  • Cons:Never enough time to explore every corner
  • In a nutshell:Rockport feels like a second home to me
  • Last visit to Rockport: Jun 2014
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2014

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2009 at 3:05 PM

This was a wonderful place that i did not get a chance to stay longer. Do you have an interest in seeing my new 1500 pics + comments for parks in Utah/Arizona. Best trip I made in years

• kathymof's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM

What a great story about the marriage proposal! I do hope you get to Dijon some time - it is a very nice town. --Happy travels! Kathy

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Terrific pages packed with your personal pleasures. A delight to read. All the best from the UK

• Veroali's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Wonderful story, Janet :) What a magical place, Rockport!

• Oct 20, 2009 at 1:50 PM

A HUGE thank you to Janet, it couldn't have happened without her. It was fantastic to meet them and hopefully the next time will be at the wedding? Fancy a trip Janet? Tomas and Rosalind xx ps in process of getting homepage & photos uploaded..stay tuned!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 12:22 PM

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM

What a great story!! I'm so glad that you saw the whole happening even though it was from a distance and didn't miss it :)))

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Enjoyable updates and a real "feel good" story. Isn't it great that there still are some romantics around? Glad to also see that Aussie managed to get in on the act.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2009 at 9:00 PM

What a fun story, Janet. A beautiful story in a beautiful spot . . . and you were there!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM

What an awesome story! I do hope they have a jumping photo during their wedding...Norman :)

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Rockport

Have you been to Rockport?

Latest Activity in Rockport