"Rockport... worth doing again and again" Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport by Pawtuxet
Rockport Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 303 photos
Just back from my 4th trip to Rockport this year. I think I'm addicted. It's the kind of place where I don't need a plan or reservations, or much of anything besides sunshine. I just love being there.
Last year I brought my niece, the artist, with me. Very different experience to spend time in galleries, photographing things to paint in the future, and sitting in the sun taking painting lesson. No shopping or touristy things this time. Just enjoying the nature, architecture, and endless beautiful vistas. So glad Beth enjoyed Rockport and Gloucester as much as I always did. Need to plan a return trip in the fall for a special exhibit of the old masters coming to the Gloucester Art Assoc. Gallery.
Rockport is always comfortable and rewarding for me whether I go pre-season, mid season or end of season. I find endless things to do and see.
Scenery for photographers, good fresh fish, terrific shopping, friendly people, and the sophistication of their newest theater. You can find many art galleries, go on a sunset sail, rent a kayak, walk several different beaches... or just find a bench or rock and sit in that wonderful sun.
Imagine all the stories these walls would tell if they could. Hundreds of people wander through Rockport on tour busses and vacationing every year. Just about every one of them takes a picture of this wonderful old fishing shack scituated prominently at the head of the small basin which is literally in the heart of the town.
The Clam Shack on Bearskin Neck has been there for many, many years. I always stop for a shrimp cocktail on the run. You can get a fresh lobster or other shellfish .. eat on benches out back by an inlet that feeds into the harbor. It's a salty spot, with a staff that keeps a fast tempo and laughs a lot.
more to come...
Driving from Gloucester or Manchester to Rockport - you can find a number of coves and beaches.
On this trip Beth and I chased many lighthouses.So many inlets that we were challenged to find which little road led to a good vantage point. The only lighthouse we never could get a good shot of was on Ten Pound Island in Gloucester harbor. We loved the name.
Other lighthouses kept us busy and happy.
- Pros:Crashing ocean, peaceful coves, great seafood, artists' colonies...sunshine!!
- Cons:Never enough time to explore every corner
- In a nutshell:Rockport feels like a second home to me
There is a very old business in Rockport called Tuck's Salt Water Taffy. At their store in the main square, you can... more travel advice
My choice for a hideaway on this trip was the Seven South Street Inn B&B. It's just up the little hill from the center... more travel advice
- See All Fishermens' Coop ~ weighing in
- See All Extraordinary Theater comes to Rockport
- See All Candids
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Rockport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rockport... worth doing again and again"
- "The Jewel of Cape Ann"
- "diver-x's Rockport Page"
- "Rockport Christmas Stroll"
- "MANGOBLUE'S ROCKPORT PAGE"
- "BuickMackane's Rockport, MA Page (I lived here!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rockport
- Hotels in Rockport
- Transportation in Rockport
- Nightlife in Rockport
- Restaurants in Rockport
- Shopping in Rockport
- Warnings and Dangers in Rockport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rockport
- 52 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Rockport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rockport
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: tips required for Amsterdam..."
- updated a Rockport Travel Page "Rockport... worth doing again and again"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Extraordinary Theater comes to Rockport"
- Commented on one of Fucian's Rockport tips
- Uploaded a Video to Rockport
- Wrote a Review Watch them make your Salt Water Taffy in Rockport Things to Do
Videos in RockportSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues