"PLYMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS" Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth by Pawtuxet
Plymouth Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 259 photos
The 1627 village is a wonderful center to experience the life of the early settlers...as well as the part played by the Native Americans. The facilities are excellent..from Orientation to Crafts Center, Nature Walk, homesites, and the more practical eating facilities, etc.
When you first go into the village, you enter the meeting house. You can go up to the 2nd floor for a bird's eye view of the entire village...and keep watch for invaders, indian attack, or pirates!!
One of only a few native North American fruits, the cranberry was an important staple long before the Pilgrims arrived. Native Americans, who referred to cranberries as sassamanash, made cakes prepared with lean dried strips of meat pounded into paste and mixed with animal fat, grains and cranberries. Reffered to as Pemmican, these cakes had an excellent keeping quality and were utilized during long journeys. Later cranberries soon became a vital source of Vitamin C for whalers and a valuable resource to New England residents.
Southeastern Massachusetts embraces its most famous indigenous fruit.
(info from the 2003 Mass. Cranberry Harvest Festival )
We viewed the MayflowerII yet again. Always fun to look at the boat and imagine it laden with pilgrims for the new world. Not a whole lot of space or comforts, I'm afraid. Lovely looking ship, tho.
- Pros:Total immersion into history and simple family life
- Cons:Heavy crowds in summer ~
- In a nutshell:Excellent capsule of time in US history - highly recommended for children
This woman sat in a native's tee pee that was filled with fur pelts, small tools, the smell of a wood fire, and stories... more travel advice
Do you suppose the kids who come here have ever chased a chicken down a dirt lane? I doubt it. This is a wonderful way... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Plymouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PLYMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS"
- "Plymouth : A travel 381 years back"
- "Finding My Mayflower Roots in Plymouth, Mass."
- "Plymouth, Home of the Pilgrims"
- "Plymouth ~ America's Hometown"
- "Plymouth, Massachusetts"
- "JOURNEY FROM PLYMOUTH TO PLYMOUTH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plymouth
- Hotels in Plymouth
- Transportation in Plymouth
- Nightlife in Plymouth
- Restaurants in Plymouth
- Shopping in Plymouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Plymouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plymouth
- 26 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Plymouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plymouth
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's Plymouth travel pages
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: What to do around Washington DC"
- updated a Plymouth Travelogue "Plimoth Plantation's Early Interiors"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Weathervane above Plymouth"
- Wrote a Review The lady of the house in Plymouth Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (134)
Latest Plymouth hotel reviews
- Pilgrim Sands Motel
- 367 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- John Carver Inn
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Ellis Haven Campground
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- Governor Bradford On Harbour
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Best Western Cold Spring
- 443 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Blue Spruce Motel
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Auberge Gladstone
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- A White Swan Bed and Breakfast
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Barbara*S Bed And Breakfast
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2011