"STEPPING BACK IN TIME...OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE" Old Sturbridge Village by Pawtuxet

Old Sturbridge Village Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 106 photos

Old Sturbridge Village

Old Sturbridge Village is an outdoor history museum that presents the story of everyday life in a rural New England town during the first 50 years of the new nation, 1790 - 1840. The landscape is re-created with original buildings brought to the museum site from all parts of the region. Historically costumed staff members demonstrate and discuss with today's visitors the life, work, and celebrations of early Americans.
This is a wonderful experience for children studying early American history...as well as adults who enjoy the period for its architecture, local crafts, and its quiet simplicity.
On this visit I was with my friend and architect who restores 18th and 19th century buildings, which made my visit a more in-depth study than when I have visited the village with children. Either way it's a great experience and one that I would highly recommend.

Local trades demonstrated, explained, and for sale

The tin business in New England began in the mid 18th century but grew most rapidly after 1820. Tinware competed successfully with the more traditional products of redware potters.
You can also visit and learn about a saw mill, an old print shop, a weaver, a blacksmith, and many other trades necessary to sustain life in the early years of the country.
Products of the village are offered in the gift shop....one of my down falls. Can't resist their redware pottery.

An entire authentic village, incl.costumed guides

No electric poles and lines or neon signs can be found here! The roads and paths are dirt or brick. The trees are plentifull, the architecture original, guides are dressed for the period, and all taken together...creates a very peacefull and beautiful environment.

• Pros:Peaceful, educational, interesting, fun, fascinating
  • Cons:Difficult to see everything in one day
  • In a nutshell:I love historic museum villages..as if you didn't know that :-)
  • Last visit to Old Sturbridge Village: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 5, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Old Sturbridge Village is a true gem. Places like these are so educational and still so charming. Excellent page. Hopefully, it will be a top 5 soon.

• Dec 9, 2009 at 1:08 AM

What a fantastic place Janet! Your photo through the covered bridge is great...something almost out of a movie!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 11:21 AM

What a lovely, interesting page! I'll be back for more....

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 3:26 PM

The name caught my eye, so a click, and I'm here having a wonderful, informative tour around a village that I would love to be visiting in real!

• paulapes's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I've always loved Sturbridge Village..haven't been there in a long time, but we used to visit yearly when the kids were growing up...they always enjoyed it too!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Like you, I'm always taken by places like this: could easily spend a day here. Very enjoyable returning for the latest updates - can't say I've ever seen Redware here.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 9:16 AM

update since July of 2007. What an informative, interesting group of tips, Janet. I went to Sturbridge years and years ago, but this presentation certainly added to what I saw then. Some beautiful photographs that are quite artistic.

• Oct 28, 2008 at 7:18 AM

We just went here a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. I love your pages. They make me want to go back! I think we'll try to make it back again to see the Village decorated for Christmas.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Fine photos and enticing texts! I have visited Old Sturbridge Village more than once (a cousin of mine used to live nearby), but that was a long time ago and I seem to have forgotten most of it. Thanks for your reminders.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Nice pictures, nice dialogue. Spent a great morning at work on this page - we visit Lenox, Stockbridge, Great B, but never get this far east. I would like it, not so sure about the spouse. N.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Old Sturbridge Village

Have you been to Old Sturbridge Village?

Latest Activity in Old Sturbridge Village