"STEPPING BACK IN TIME...OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE" Old Sturbridge Village by Pawtuxet
Old Sturbridge Village Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 106 photos
Old Sturbridge Village is an outdoor history museum that presents the story of everyday life in a rural New England town during the first 50 years of the new nation, 1790 - 1840. The landscape is re-created with original buildings brought to the museum site from all parts of the region. Historically costumed staff members demonstrate and discuss with today's visitors the life, work, and celebrations of early Americans.
This is a wonderful experience for children studying early American history...as well as adults who enjoy the period for its architecture, local crafts, and its quiet simplicity.
On this visit I was with my friend and architect who restores 18th and 19th century buildings, which made my visit a more in-depth study than when I have visited the village with children. Either way it's a great experience and one that I would highly recommend.
The tin business in New England began in the mid 18th century but grew most rapidly after 1820. Tinware competed successfully with the more traditional products of redware potters.
You can also visit and learn about a saw mill, an old print shop, a weaver, a blacksmith, and many other trades necessary to sustain life in the early years of the country.
Products of the village are offered in the gift shop....one of my down falls. Can't resist their redware pottery.
No electric poles and lines or neon signs can be found here! The roads and paths are dirt or brick. The trees are plentifull, the architecture original, guides are dressed for the period, and all taken together...creates a very peacefull and beautiful environment.
- Pros:Peaceful, educational, interesting, fun, fascinating
- Cons:Difficult to see everything in one day
- In a nutshell:I love historic museum villages..as if you didn't know that :-)
We didn't stay overnight, but friends did... and were quite satisfied. This is the venue for the New England Historic... more travel advice
We enjoyed a charcoal broiled burger with sweet potatoe fries. Very satisfying. Needed a quick lunch, and altho they... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Old Sturbridge Village Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STEPPING BACK IN TIME...OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE"
- "An Inside Look at Early America"
- "OLD STURBIDGE VILLAGE"
- "Old Sturbridge Village"
- "Old Sturbridge Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Sturbridge Village
- Hotels in Old Sturbridge Village
- Transportation in Old Sturbridge Village
- Restaurants in Old Sturbridge Village
- Shopping in Old Sturbridge Village
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Old Sturbridge Village
- 22 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Old Sturbridge Village?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Sturbridge Village
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: tips required for Amsterdam..."
- updated a Old Sturbridge Village Travel Page "STEPPING BACK IN TIME...OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE"
- Wrote a Review Ideally located in Old Sturbridge Village Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ideally located"
- Commented on one of peach93's Old Sturbridge Village travel pages
Photos in Old Sturbridge VillageSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues