"Newburyport ~ history, architecture, boating" Newburyport by Pawtuxet

Newburyport Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 59 photos

From the moment you enter....

Newburyport has her best dress on all the time, it seems. The homes are beautifully restored and preserved....each one more beautiful than the one before it. The waterfront has been developed to include outdoor sculpture, sitting areas, a promenade, boat tours, and tourist information building ..... along with the necessary public parking. There is an interesting business district full of restaurants and shops that lure the visitor with lovely storefronts and signage. I arrived late in the day so I missed the hustle and bustle of the business district...but enjoyed the late day sun streaming across this exquisite architecture. I'll probably visit again next time I"m staying in Rockport. It's a very scenic drive that you can enjoy for the hour or so it might take to amble up there from the Gloucester - Rockport area.
Newburyport is located just 35 miles north of Boston

For the latest in Newburyport events, shopping and dining, sign up for an e-mail newsletter at www.newburyportchamber.org

A town known for being oneof the finest places in the country to go bird watching. Programs and tours available throughout the year for all sorts of environmental hikes and special sites.
This is a town just chock block full of interesting things to do in all seasons. I'm very impressed with their local organizations and community involvement.

• Pros:Gorgeous early American architecture
  • Cons:A bit too far from Boston...slightly remote, altho some folks commute
  • In a nutshell:Lovely New England village to while away your hours.
  • Last visit to Newburyport: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2005

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 6:06 AM

I do enjoy visiting these New England towns with you Janet - they are charming.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2008 at 2:44 AM

Lovely little town with charming old wooden houses and so much to see and do. I'd definitely go birdwatching and for a boat trip there.

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Hi Janet...you are correct about these towns being absolutely immaculate in their presentation..with the wooden houses so neatly painted also the location by the water is wonderful.I will return here again next year to visit friends....

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 5:31 AM

Ah, a very pleasant looking place indeed. Looks a great place to enjoy being disgraceful, but I suspect they'd throw me out if I did! :))

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 5:29 AM

What a delightful little seaside area. I think I need to come there birding, take a boat ride, and have a look at those beautiful homes.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2007 at 8:49 AM

I always love a visit to a seaside town and this one has some amazingly old architectural gems! Great photos Janet!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 2:44 PM

Janet, what a delight. You know how I love these unique small villages, especially the architecture. We would be great traveling together...architecture, coffe shops, dinners, shops, and history. Ah...yes.

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 5:18 AM

What a lovely little place!!! sounds and looks a little like England ? Thanks for sharing with me

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 2:04 PM

Just perfect destination, I am ready to go, my camera, too :-). I am too lazy for kayaking but boat tours seem to fit in. Birds? Where are they? Moved to Florida? Surprisingly no crowds, too :-)

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 2:37 AM

I would love bird watching and hiking in this lovely little place.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Newburyport

Have you been to Newburyport?