"MARTHA'S VINEYARD ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Martha's Vineyard by Pawtuxet
Martha's Vineyard Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 325 photos
There are several little towns on Martha's Vineyard. That's what I like about it. Unlike a few of the other islands, where you spend time in just one little town (where I usually get bored)......Martha's Vineyard offers variety in its architecture, the character of the towns, and the activities offered in each one. Edgartown to Gay Head... there is much to see and many places to relax. Leave the car at the main land and use your bike or the little van that circulates from town to town. Most of the time you will be on foot...or sprawled out in the sand.
Oak Bluffs is more of a party town. An historic carousel sits in the middle of the business district. Many clubs and restaurants...one of the best historic districts filled with gingerbread architecture that I've seen anywhere.
My son was fortunate to spend a summer working on the island, at a restaurant in Oak Bluffs. We all did a day trip to visit with him and celebrate our anniversary. Had a great day.
Some of my best visits to the island were when I went for several days and stayed in Edgartown... bouncing from town to town.. beach to beach.
The camp grounds at Martha's Vineyard (Oak Bluffs) became known as WESLEYAN GROVE. Born of a religious tent revival meeting, the area has developed into an intrigueing architectural gem... preserved as an interesting study in architecture as well as religious settlements. There is a book CITY IN THE WOODS by Ellen Weiss, which tells the story of the American Camp Meeting by the Methodists.
See tips re: this settlement which was repeated throughout the country. Other locations with the same plan and design have survived in various states, such as New Jersey's Mt. Tabor. See my New Jersey page for more.
- Pros:Summertime fun, fantastic beaches, good shopping, many choices
- Cons:a summertime only vacation spot.
- In a nutshell:Pack in a sun and fun filled holiday
More than one president has known the secret of Martha's Vineyard. This is a place to relax and enjoy.... rest ... or... more travel advice
My family is full of gardeners and we never tire of looking at how everyone else arranges theirs...or what they grow...... more travel advice
- See All Bike to Chappaquiddick
- See All Island Queen Ferry-Falmouth to Martha's...
- Check out the antique shops - Oak Bluffs
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Martha's Vineyard Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MARTHA'S VINEYARD ~"
- "A Day Trip to Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard"
- "Marthas Vineyard"
- "Great Day Trip"
- "Martha's Vineyard"
- "Martha's Vineyard"
- "Martha's Vineyard--an island retreat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Martha's Vineyard
- Hotels in Martha's Vineyard
- Transportation in Martha's Vineyard
- Nightlife in Martha's Vineyard
- Restaurants in Martha's Vineyard
- Shopping in Martha's Vineyard
- Warnings and Dangers in Martha's Vineyard
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Martha's Vineyard
- 21 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Martha's Vineyard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Martha's Vineyard
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: What to do around Washington DC"
- Commented on one of garridogal's Martha's Vineyard travel pages
- Wrote a Review A place to relax in Martha's Vineyard Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A place to relax"
- updated a Martha's Vineyard Travel Page "MARTHA'S VINEYARD ~"
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
Latest Martha's Vineyard hotel reviews
- Mansion House
- 280 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013