"Lowell....the textile town in America" Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell by Pawtuxet

Lowell Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 89 photos

Transforming Lowell

Congressman Paul Tsongas was from Lowell...and is probably responsible for the city receiving so many federal dollars to preserve and restore the mill buildings to tell the story of our transformation during the industrial revolution. It was a revolution without war...but in many ways more damaging to our environment and family life than some of the wars have been.

Ethnic neighborhoods

Interesting map shows you the places where you could find the Canadian French, Polish, Portuguese and Italian communities....as they settled in to American ways...The Irish came to build the canals...about 5 1/2 miles of them...with locks..all tieing into the Merrimack adn Concord Rivers. Later the French came to work the mills...then more and more ..
You could probably still find ethnic enclaves scattered throughout the city. This is a city of poverty today as it was during the industrialization of the United States. So many vinyl sided tenement houses with traces of the "old country" on the neighborhood store signs.

The many textiles...from the many mills...

In Lowell you could visit so many mills and museums, it would keep you busy for a couple of days. Mogan Cultural Center and Boardinghouse has the Center for Lowell History "Mill Girls and Immigrants" Exhibit. Boot Cotton Mills Museum with the Tsongas Industrial HIstory Center done by the Lowell HIstorical Society. There is a Jack Kerouac Commemorative, Lowell Memorial Auditorium/Merrimack Repertory Theater, Market Mills with the Brush Art Gallery and Studios, American Textile History Museum, Whistler House Museum of Art, New England Quilt Museum, Railroad Exhibit with Visitor Center and Trolley Stop....Boarding House Park....Suffolk Mill Turbine Exhibit...the list goes on and on.....

• Pros:Renaissance coming to Lowell...slowly....
  • Cons:Critical need for jobs, training, housing improvements for the masses
  • In a nutshell:Fascinating, educational, important to our history
  • Last visit to Lowell: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2004

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Hi Janet, thank u for stopping by my Norwalk page. During the hot summer months I usually enjoy the Northeat towns and cities, especially this year with my moves (work and personal). How have you been??

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Fascinating page on Lowell, Janet. Thanks so much for pointing me to your page. Now I want to re-read Kerouac's earlier works to learn more about his life in Lowell!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Just wonderful, Janet. I always feel so badly when I know that industry has left USA, but, thank goodness, they have preserved the history. Excellent information. So glad you did this page.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 5:34 AM

Interesting how some places need to constantly 'reinvent' themselves! At least the past is being well preserved.

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Ha, I remember when visitng the museum I got sth to put into my ears.:)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 1:49 PM

Lovely textile page :-)))

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 2:49 PM

What a nice museum! And I like the way you describe it!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 3:40 PM

Hi Janet. Thanks for checking out my Alabama page. I enjoyed reading about this town and its interesting contribution to American history.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 7:22 AM

Janet, a great page with lots of interesting historical information. I have always been amazed at the size of these old mill complexes when driving through Massachusetts. Great work!

• Nov 21, 2004 at 2:20 AM

I was born in Boston but raised in the City of Lowell. Viewing your tips on the city makes me want to just cry.

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Lowell