"Lowell....the textile town in America" Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell by Pawtuxet
Lowell Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 93 photos
Congressman Paul Tsongas was from Lowell...and is probably responsible for the city receiving so many federal dollars to preserve and restore the mill buildings to tell the story of our transformation during the industrial revolution. It was a revolution without war...but in many ways more damaging to our environment and family life than some of the wars have been.
Interesting map shows you the places where you could find the Canadian French, Polish, Portuguese and Italian communities....as they settled in to American ways...The Irish came to build the canals...about 5 1/2 miles of them...with locks..all tieing into the Merrimack adn Concord Rivers. Later the French came to work the mills...then more and more ..
You could probably still find ethnic enclaves scattered throughout the city. This is a city of poverty today as it was during the industrialization of the United States. So many vinyl sided tenement houses with traces of the "old country" on the neighborhood store signs.
In Lowell you could visit so many mills and museums, it would keep you busy for a couple of days. Mogan Cultural Center and Boardinghouse has the Center for Lowell History "Mill Girls and Immigrants" Exhibit. Boot Cotton Mills Museum with the Tsongas Industrial HIstory Center done by the Lowell HIstorical Society. There is a Jack Kerouac Commemorative, Lowell Memorial Auditorium/Merrimack Repertory Theater, Market Mills with the Brush Art Gallery and Studios, American Textile History Museum, Whistler House Museum of Art, New England Quilt Museum, Railroad Exhibit with Visitor Center and Trolley Stop....Boarding House Park....Suffolk Mill Turbine Exhibit...the list goes on and on.....
- Pros:Renaissance coming to Lowell...slowly....
- Cons:Critical need for jobs, training, housing improvements for the masses
- In a nutshell:Fascinating, educational, important to our history
Jack Kerouac was a writer born in Lowell, Mass. You can GOOGLE his name and learn much about his books and his life. ... more travel advice
The New England Quilt Museum is made to order for those who study, collect, or otherwise admire the American quilts.... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Lowell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mill City"
- "Lowell....the textile town in America"
- "LOWELL - CANALS AND MILLS"
- "LeDragon's new Lowell Page"
- "A town that undersells itself"
- "Lowell - City of Canals"
- "A Good Stop on a Roadtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lowell
- Hotels in Lowell
- Transportation in Lowell
- Nightlife in Lowell
- Restaurants in Lowell
- Shopping in Lowell
- Warnings and Dangers in Lowell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lowell
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Lowell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lowell
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues