"Lexington...let's go back again" Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington by Pawtuxet
Lexington Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 106 photos
It was the close of day when we arrived in Lexington. The sun was sinking and it was close to that magical twilight time when the light becomes just right for photography or peaceful, relaxing moments. This site of the Lexington Minutemen was peaceful and serene, not even hinting at the fact that a parade came through earlier in the day and there were probably kids, balloons and litter all over the streets. I enjoy parades the day before they happen...or when they are all cleaned up afterwards. It's as if the town breathes a deep sigh of relief to be calm and quiet once again. The long holiday weekend was filled with great weather and plenty of time to be out and about whether you were a gardener, runner, bicyclist, or lover in the park.
We thought we would just pass through and be on our way, but we had to stop and walk the grounds of the Buckman Tavern and enjoy the respectfull remembrances of the many men who served to protect all the precious little American towns like this one.
My hat is off to the groundskeepers here in Lexington. What a great job they do at taking care of the village green and Buckman Tavern grounds. Looks like quite a few people around the town appreciate it as well. All ages enjoying some time under the trees.
My village association is always struggling with how we can improve our streetscapes and business district, so I guess I pay more attention to how towns are designed than most people do. Brick sidewalks, street trees, benches, "bump outs" at cross walks, appropriate lighting and signage are all part of our continuing dialogue and obviously it has been a big part of the dialogue in Lexington for a long time now.
Charming little shopping area where there is plenty of space for everyone to move around, do their shopping, or take time out to rest and chat with friends. Almost seemed as if the design of the street leant itself to slowing the pace.
I'd like to return and take the time to explore some interesting shops and eateries here. It is to their credit that they have planned their town to make you want to return.
- Pros:Picturesque, peaceful, historic, and inviting.
- Cons:never enough time to spend in places like this...
- In a nutshell:A well preserved early New England treasure
We were shopping for bean latches for our 1700's house...we're restoring the front hallway now. Went to see a man who... more travel advice
Bike path passes thru the park, but is screened by greens. When bicyclists and pedestrians enter a crosswalk....the... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Birthplace of America"
- "Lexington...let's go back again"
- "Let it Begin Here"
- "Lexington, MA... another stop on the history tour"
- "Lexington, Massachusetts"
- "Local Bill's Lexington Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lexington
- Hotels in Lexington
- Transportation in Lexington
- Restaurants in Lexington
- Shopping in Lexington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lexington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
Photos in LexingtonSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues