"GLOUCESTER ~ ROCKY NECK" Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester by Pawtuxet
Gloucester Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 481 photos
Rocky Neck is a tiny peninsula in East Gloucester..lauded as the oldest artist's colony in the United States. There are numerous studios and galleries along with a few good restuarants and bars... wonderful views of the cove. It's funky, salty, and marvelous.
Robert Gruppe' has his studio here. The Gruppe's have had this gallery for three generations...each of them doing marvelous oil paintings of their beloved Gloucester harbor. I would love to have a painting from grandfather, father and son, but I have been happy to own one of the son's lovely paintings which I treated myself with a few years ago. He paints Gloucester as he has known it since childhood. If a building is torn down or replaced by something modern which offends his senses, he simply paints from his memory and refuses to include the newer "offense" in his art. Do stop in to see his work in his charming studio if you are ever in Gloucester. He's on the left going into the neck....can't miss it. There is a sign.
Usually photographers show you the wonderful statue of the Gloucester Fisherman when they talk about Gloucester. It's in one of my tips along with the statue of woman and child waiting for the fisherman husband to return. The Perfect Storm movie was filmed here...and tells the stories and perils of being a deep sea fisherman.... it's a dieing breed. Very tough life. The town has many faces and lots to explore...from Whale Watch, to an Artist's Colony, to a Castle built by a prominent inventor. Poke around. Have some lobster...or little necks.
Be sure to stop on the boulevard and walk the linear park along the waterfront where folks gather for the regular opening of the draw bridge. Cars line up to wait for their road to reappear while sailboats and tour boats take their turns passing through to open waters. Not sure what is so fascinating about a draw bridge.... guess it's because it's another dieing breed.
Gloucester has charm, grit, art, beaches, boats, shopping, restaurants, bars, and you can even enjoy a castle overlooking the bay.
Basically a blue collar fisherman's town... there are traces of gentrification slipping in here and there - to bring you good food and shopping.
Don't forget to take a whale watching boat out to sea!
- Pros:Ocean, Salt, Art, Bars, Castles, good restaurants....what else?
- Cons:slightly funky around the edges
- In a nutshell:Have a taste...see what you think
My son and his wife have stayed here and raved about the accomodations as well as the restaurant facility. I'll be going... more travel advice
Village Silver Smith is in Gloucester, Rockport, and Boston. Try to find something made by the father or the son. They... more travel advice
- See All THE BEST cappuccino EVER!!
- See All Enjoy the ocean!
- See All It's all in the details.... be sure to...
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Gloucester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GLOUCESTER ~ ROCKY NECK"
- "Gloucester, Ma. - My Hometown Page"
- "BuickMackane's Gloucester, MA Page (I lived here!)"
- "MANGOBLUE99"S HOMETOWN PAGE"
- "Glorious Cape Ann"
- "Cabana Boy's Gloucester Page"
- "Castle by the Sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gloucester
- Hotels in Gloucester
- Transportation in Gloucester
- Nightlife in Gloucester
- Restaurants in Gloucester
- Shopping in Gloucester
- Warnings and Dangers in Gloucester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucester
- 32 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Gloucester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucester
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
Latest Gloucester hotel reviews
- Julietta House
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2013
- Cape Ann Motor Inn
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 20, 2013
- Atlantis Oceanfront Motor Inn
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 26, 2012
- Cape Ann Marina's Resort
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ocean View Inn and Resort
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Harborview Inn
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Bass Rocks Ocean Inn
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Blue Shutters Inn
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- The Manor Inn
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Good Harbor Beach Inn
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Thomas Riggs House Bed and Breakfast
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 24, 2008