"HISTORIC DEERFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS" Deerfield by Pawtuxet
Deerfield Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 86 photos
Deerfield is a unique town in that it is one of the largest collections of early American architecture set in its original site...and in continuous use since its origins. At one point, a number of the buildings were becoming deteriorated and a family named Flynt took it upon themselves to buy and develop the numerous buildings...creating an amazing living museum. Some of the buildings are owned privately and lived in by current residents who work in the village. Other buildings are outfitted with the arts and furnishings collected by the Flynts over the years...or since collected by the current curators.
Deerfield is located in the north west corner of Massachusetts, just north of Amhurst.
There is one tavern and inn in the town, and a gift shop. Otherwise you will find no commercial development whatsoever, and so will have to travel a few miles past the surrounding pastoral acreage to get to other inns, restaurants, and general retail establishments.
If you are a student of early American architecture, this village should not be missed. What a wonderful feeling to walk down a street with no utility wires, signs, or other modern day interruptions to the peaceful character of a tree lined 1700's village street.
Of course you will see several wonderful old fireplaces...and it is interesting to compare those of the 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's. One can trace the history of the country and the trades...through this simple architecture of ordinary homes.
- Pros:Unique, authentic early Americana
- Cons:There should be more preserved villages like this one.
- In a nutshell:An American Historian's delight
Changing exhibitions and The Museum's Attic - visible storage of 2500 antiques. Opened in 1998 The center sits behind... more travel advice
While we were in Deerfield area, we spotted an auto show. So glad we stopped. They had some of the very earliest autos... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Deerfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORIC DEERFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS"
- "Yankee Candle and More"
- "Easty's new Deerfield Page"
- "vrage's new Deerfield Page"
- "Old Deerfield"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deerfield
- 22 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Deerfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deerfield
Photos in DeerfieldSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos