Chicago Off The Beaten Path Tips by Pawtuxet
Chicago Off The Beaten Path: 434 reviews and 641 photos
Frank Lloyd Wright house! ?? Can't imagine anyone else did this one. The string of windows...the arch...the brick. These would be his early houses...as the house in Oak Park was the first he did for himself and his family. Speaking of family, there is a very good book written by Wright's son, John. The title, "MY FATHER, FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT". I'm afraid it isn't very complimentary of dear old dad. Interesting read, tho.
UPDATE: This is in fact another Wright work....we're told it is the Heartley House and it's on the market for 5.75 million. I'm not surprised.....with the reputation of Wright.
Frank W. Thomas house, 1901
I didn't research the various houses I saw in Oak Hill, but photographed those which I thought were probably Wright's work. Here we see the trademark row of windows which so characterizes his work. If not a Wright house, then certainly someone drew their ideas from him. If anyone knows the specifics of any of these houses, please leave a comment to tell me about it.
UPDATE: thanks to the VT community we have now identified this house and it is in fact a Wright creation. Thank you, DABS. Exerpts from the site re: his home and work....
"This house was commissioned by James C. Rogers for his daughter and her husband, Frank Wright Thomas. In some ways, it resembles the Heurtley House: Both homes have leaded glass windows, an arched entryway, and a low, long profile. The Thomas house is widely considered Wright's first Prairie Style home in Oak Park. It is also his first all stucco home in Oak Park. Using stucco instead of wood meant that Wright could design clear, geometric forms.
The main rooms of the Thomas House are raised a full story above a high basement. The L-shaped floor plan of the house gives it an open view to the north and west, while obscuring a brick wall located on the south side. A "false door" is located just above the arched entryway."
REFER TO: http://architecture.about.com/library/blflwthomas.htm
If you are into the Wright architecture and the man himself, you will enjoy reading the book by his son, John. Lots of family insights but also lots of inside information about some of his work and work ethics. I don't want to give it away before you read it, but suffice to say, John wasn't crazy about his papa.
Watch for the details in the windows when looking at the Wright houses... or copies thereof. Notice the design in the glass itself which adds extra interest to this 'bump out' window.
It is worth the short train ride to go out to see Wright's home. (several blocks from the train) Again I was warned not to go by train and walk around the immediate neighborhood, but it was fine. The house is just marvelous..furnished with pieces he created. There is an excellent tour and book store. Interesting stories about how work as well as personal tidbits about the man and his life.
Oak Park, Illinois is just a little train ride from downtown Chicago. The home of Frank Lloyd Wright is a good tour of a fantastic house...with much of his original furniture in place. There are knowledgeable guides who give insights into the man and his family. Oak Park is also the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway, altho I didn't get to view that museum. There is a visitors Center at 158 N. Forest Ave....when you've walked from the Oak Park stop at Marion Street. (Metro West Line) The whole neighborhood is interesting, so plan to do a walking tour on your own. See my t'logues for more pics at Wright's home and neighborhood.
Polish Museum of America
THE POLISH MUSEUM OF AMERICA is located at 984 North Milwaukee Ave, Chicago. There is a donation requested ($2). Numerous exhibits, cultural programs, lectures, concerts, etc. and a library with more than 60,000 volumes. Scholars come to research Polish history and culture..as it is one of the largest collections outside Poland. General information at: 3l2.384.3352.
More Reviews (10)
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Explore the World
- Canandaigua Hotels
- Talomo Hotels
- Lincoln City Hotels
- Fowey Hotels
- Grand Junction Off The Beaten Path
- Roswell Off The Beaten Path
- Australia Off The Beaten Path
- Grenada Off The Beaten Path
- Iquitos Off The Beaten Path
- Zion National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Aswan Off The Beaten Path
- Voronezh Off The Beaten Path
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Off The Beaten Path
- Islamorada Off The Beaten Path
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 17 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (132)
Latest Chicago hotel reviews
- The Buckingham Athletic Club
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Residence Inn Chicago Downtown / River North
- 429 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Hampton Inn Majestic Chicago
- 676 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- InterContinental Chicago
- 1520 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- The Willows Hotel
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Whitehall Hotel
- 586 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- O'Hare Inn & Suites Chicago
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Lincoln Motel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- Chicago Essex Inn
- 644 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Raffaello Hotel
- 584 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
- 318 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Ohio House Motel
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Wheeler Mansion
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Michigan Avenue- 86 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)- 107 Reviews, 194 Photos
- John Hancock Center- 100 Reviews, 182 Photos
- Millennium Park- 84 Reviews, 235 Photos
- Navy Pier- 106 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Lake Michigan & Lincoln Park- 52 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Art Institute- 89 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Field Museum of Natural History- 67 Reviews, 118 Photos
- Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs- 34 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Shedd Aquarium- 54 Reviews, 97 Photos
See All Chicago Things to Do