Savannah Local Custom Tips by Pawtuxet Top 5 Page for this destination
Savannah Local Customs: 19 reviews and 17 photos
Kids have fun... onlookers laughing
THERE IS A SQUARE WITH OPEN SPACE WHERE FOLKS RELAX WITH A DRINK FROM ONE OF THE NEARBY PUBS OR CAFES. BTW..SO LONG AS YOUR DRINK IS IN A PAPER CUP YOU CAN DRINK ON THE STREET! BACK TO THE SQUARE. WE SAT FOR QUITE A WHILE LAUGHING AT THE KIDS WHO COME TO THESE FOUNTAINS..OFTEN DASHING IN AND OUT TRYING NOT TO GET WET. THE SQUIRTS ARE INTERMITTENT AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN ANOTHER ONE IS GOING TO BURST UP INTO YOUR FACE. LIKE A DANCE, EVERYONE DASHES BACK AND FORTH UNTIL THEY FINALLLY DON'T CARE HOW WET THEY GET AND PROCEED TO PLAY ALL SORTS OF SILLY GAMES WITH THE SQUIRTING WATER.
The moss dripping from all the trees is certainly charming and intrigueing. However, it looks as if it could choke some of the smaller trees if it became too thick on the branches. I'm not knowledgeable in this area, but when I saw this small struggling tree, I felt like getting a ladder and taking the moss off so it could breathe better!
The pineapple is used as a sign of hospitality throughout Savannah. The guide at the Sorrel-Weed house talked about it thinking it was unique to Savannah, but I've seen the same thing in Newport, Rhode Island. It must have been a colonial symbol in all the early cities and towns. At any rate, we see a charming example of their use here... again in their excellent iron work.
YOU MAY HAVE TO CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE AND ENJOY THE PINEAPPLES
Each of the city's 22 squares has its own identity and Madison Square is no exception. This city has a fine custom of honoring its history and here we see a memorial to an Irish Revolutionary war hero. Sgt. William Jasper's statue and plaque (both pictured here) are a dramatic accent to the shaded square along with some vintage cannons from the old Savannah Armory.
Madison Square is also where you will find the Sorrel-Weed house and the Gryphon Tea Room ( both of which are mentioned in other tips).
The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) originally opened on this historic square.
More Reviews (29)
- See All Be careful of tourist trap restaurants.
- See All It's where you should go for DINNER
- A lucky find
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Savannah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sultry, Mysterious Savannah"
- "An Exotic, Steamy Woman Heats Up Georgia!"
- "savannah, georgia"
- "SAVANNAH SCENE"
- "Don't Miss Savannah"
- "The one hundred garden city"
- "Charming Savannah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Savannah
- Hotels in Savannah
- Transportation in Savannah
- Nightlife in Savannah
- Restaurants in Savannah
- Shopping in Savannah
- Warnings and Dangers in Savannah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Savannah
- 33 Reviews
- 114 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Savannah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Savannah
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
- River Street (Riverfront)- 21 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Forsyth Park- 12 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Ghost Tours- 12 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Trolley and Carriage Tours- 11 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Bonaventure Cemetary- 9 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Factors Walk- 6 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Colonial Park Cemetery- 7 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Mercer Williams House- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Owens-Thomas House- 6 Reviews, 9 Photos
- City Market- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Savannah Things to Do