"Sultry, Mysterious Savannah" Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah by Pawtuxet

Savannah Travel Guide: 828 reviews and 1,603 photos

You have to pry and search to find her secrets

I was lucky to be able to visit SAVANNAH again. My son and his wife were there on business,so it was a perfect opportunity to CELEBRATING MY BIRTHDAY ALL MONTH LONG!!! :-)
THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT TIL I FINALLY GOT BACK TO MY PAGE.

Savannah has a special appeal. Maybe it's her canopy of trees with all the Spanish moss dripping from every branch. The mystery is encouraged by the city fathers who bill her as the most haunted city. There are many stories of ghosts and magic potions.... and the mood is intensified by the very fabric of the historic district. So many wonderful old dwellings protecting the secrets within and fortified with the iron scrollwork so typical and plentiful. The obvious districts along the waterfront and around the City Market must be explored, for sure. But then to get to the heart of this mystical city, you must move more slowly through the small lanes and streets, circling the many park squares... to discover the little cafes, shops, museums, and galleries. OR THE VERY LIVELY WATERFRONT STRIP.

Drawn to the light

Tybee Island offers large expanses of open sky, beach and dunes. This is the popular summer playground of the sun worshippers... and those who like a bit of honkey tonk on sultry summer nights.

Eat with the locals...

Green Truck Pub

"Casual neighborhood burgers, sandwiches, soups and salads.

Mindful sourcing and scratch-made meals, including hand-cut fries, homemade ketchup and house-canned pickles.

Featuring a thoughtful selection of craft beers and quality, affordable wines.

Damn good food."

• Pros:A wonderful mystery to explore
  • Cons:Some wonder should I feel safe here?
  • In a nutshell:Get in the groove and enjoy your discoveries!
  • Last visit to Savannah: Apr 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2012

• IzabelleR's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I dont know why but when I went here i didnt feel safe at all even in my hotel worst vacation ever

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Jan 13, 2014 at 4:59 AM

I'm so sorry you had that experience. Maybe you were at the wrong lodging. I've stayed in rented apartments and cottages...always felt safe alone or with friends. We walked everywhere...day or night. Sometimes I think certain places just weren't meant to be for some people.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I had never heard of Savannah before, then yesterday evening one of my favourite tv shows, bizarre food, was all about this city. It looked nice and I got curious, thanks for the virtualtour.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Glad you got to experience a bit of Savannah, if only virtually. It's a really cool town. Something special about the atmosphere...quiet, yet bustling..mysterious but not scarey...surprise on every corner. Such fun to discover all the hidden treasures.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Back again for a short visit. Being an architecture junkie, I've wanted to visit Savannah for a long time, but there are obviously a lot of reasons to visit this town, not the least of which just might be the restaurants.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM

nice tips on this southern city that my sister in law will stop by while going on to Orlando from NJ.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Hi, Janet! Thanks for telling us about the mysterious atmosphere of that well-known city.... Good for you!

• jakiline's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I only know Savannah watching the beautiful film BAGGER VANCE

• Dec 18, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Spanish Moss is a plant that lives off the air and "dirt"; please do not touch it, it is not harmful to trees, however it is full of red lice bugs. It was used to stuff mattresses in the past -- "good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite".

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM

What a cute little 1700's house! Sounds like you had a few disappoinments, but then quite few good times. Looks quite a nice place for a visit.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM

This is an area of USA I would love to see. Those grand old houses (even haunted ones) are so attractive. Nice tip on Pulaski . Good pictures. I will return here to finish my tour soon.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Can't believe how beautiful - but then, Savannah always just made me think of weeping willow trees! Lovely page - Bravo Pulaski! Ciao

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Savannah

Have you been to Savannah?