"Sanford makes me smile....." Sanford by Pawtuxet

Sanford Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 58 photos

Along Lake Monroe

Sanford is located on Lake Monroe which was responsible for its early years as a shipping town. Goods can be moved through the region easily from this point and the St. John's River is a connector that contributes to its popularity. In today's world, it's also where the trains offload the cars which are shipped from the north for the snow birds. The old Navy base's airport has been transformed into an international airport which is little known...but if you don't mind a connecting flight, it's a whole lot easier to manage than the major city airports.
But all of that talks about the commercial success of Sanford....there are other things that make Sanford so loveable.
There is Spanish moss wafting lazily from the trees. Some streets have total arbors of it overhanging your drive through their old neighborhoods.
Lake Monroe is calming, mesmorizing and magnetic. The park which is on the main street of town (just after the business district) has been totally re-landscaped and provides an excellent spot for sunning, resting, or fishing. When I saw some of the older folks fishing there it was as if the same people had been there all those years since we first saw Sanford in the 60's. It's so much a part of Sanford.

Some places just "do it" for you.

I liked Sanford from the first moment we drove into town back in the early 1960's. We had military orders to Sanford Naval Air Station, I was very young with my 2nd baby and we were dirt poor. We lived 3 miles from a paved road in a rented house and my husband used to kid that he had to chase me out of the trees to cook supper. I just plain loved the place from the start. Still do. I literally feel better when I enter that town. I think all of us have that experience with certain places we visit.
We lived in Sanford for about a year and then had orders to San Diego, California. Over the years I've returned to watch the decline after the Navy base closed. Later they were listed on the National Historic Register, then some Federal money came in to fix up the streetscape and on this visit I was happy to see they have turned the corner in revitalization! Artists and antique shops have come into town along with lots of interesting shops and eateries. People have restored the business blocks and there are committed preservationists restoring the houses in the residential historic district. I congratulated everyone I spoke to.
If you are an artist or a preservationist...or even a fisherman...you will enjoy Sanford. She just keeps reincarnating herself over and over and continuing to survive, blossom and grow. Let me begin to show you some of my favorite things in Sanford.....

Can't decide between water, trees, or architecture

I'm not sure which part of Sanford I like the best. The waterfront does sort of draw me to it....but there are so many elements I find charming, friendly and comforting about Sanford.

• Pros:Small, historic, friendly, waterfront, great trees....
  • Cons:so what's not to like?
  • In a nutshell:Sanford makes me smile...I'll say it again.
  • Last visit to Sanford: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Hi, Janet! Wonderful page, thanks a lot! ><><><><><

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Hi Janet, interesting page on a place you obviously enjoyed!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I'm sure you return to memories of your family's earliest years often---it's nice to relive those days! Why do children have to grow up so fast!?!?

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM

I lived in Sanford when I 1st moved to Fla. Its now officially part of Orlando, stretches from Lake Monroe to the mall at I-4,has tripled in population(and traffic) and stretches down rt17-92 to Lake Mary. Its a big place now. Mike

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Just remember, Janet...it's not important as to how you SPELL the flowers, you just have to SMELL them. :) And as for the Spanish Moss, just don't make that Yankee mistake of putting it in you hair to be funny. You'll be scratching for days.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 7:17 AM

Looks like a lovely place to live in. I wouldn't like to cross the bike and the gator though :)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Lots of great old memories here. I love the spreading live oaks draped with Spanish moss. The New Tribes Mission is interesting.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Never heard of this place before your lovely page Janet :) Delightful, thank you!

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Janet, this is just a delightful page. I really like how you captured your feelings for it; it kind of reminds me of my hometown. I wonder how it is to retire there??

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Janet, lovely new page with brilliant phtos and interesting tips. Well done ... :-)

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Sanford

Have you been to Sanford?

Photos in Sanford