"Sanford makes me smile....." Sanford by Pawtuxet
Sanford Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 48 photos
Sanford is located on Lake Monroe which was responsible for its early years as a shipping town. Goods can be moved through the region easily from this point and the St. John's River is a connector that contributes to its popularity. In today's world, it's also where the trains offload the cars which are shipped from the north for the snow birds. The old Navy base's airport has been transformed into an international airport which is little known...but if you don't mind a connecting flight, it's a whole lot easier to manage than the major city airports.
But all of that talks about the commercial success of Sanford....there are other things that make Sanford so loveable.
There is Spanish moss wafting lazily from the trees. Some streets have total arbors of it overhanging your drive through their old neighborhoods.
Lake Monroe is calming, mesmorizing and magnetic. The park which is on the main street of town (just after the business district) has been totally re-landscaped and provides an excellent spot for sunning, resting, or fishing. When I saw some of the older folks fishing there it was as if the same people had been there all those years since we first saw Sanford in the 60's. It's so much a part of Sanford.
I liked Sanford from the first moment we drove into town back in the early 1960's. We had military orders to Sanford Naval Air Station, I was very young with my 2nd baby and we were dirt poor. We lived 3 miles from a paved road in a rented house and my husband used to kid that he had to chase me out of the trees to cook supper. I just plain loved the place from the start. Still do. I literally feel better when I enter that town. I think all of us have that experience with certain places we visit.
We lived in Sanford for about a year and then had orders to San Diego, California. Over the years I've returned to watch the decline after the Navy base closed. Later they were listed on the National Historic Register, then some Federal money came in to fix up the streetscape and on this visit I was happy to see they have turned the corner in revitalization! Artists and antique shops have come into town along with lots of interesting shops and eateries. People have restored the business blocks and there are committed preservationists restoring the houses in the residential historic district. I congratulated everyone I spoke to.
If you are an artist or a preservationist...or even a fisherman...you will enjoy Sanford. She just keeps reincarnating herself over and over and continuing to survive, blossom and grow. Let me begin to show you some of my favorite things in Sanford.....
I'm not sure which part of Sanford I like the best. The waterfront does sort of draw me to it....but there are so many elements I find charming, friendly and comforting about Sanford.
- Pros:Small, historic, friendly, waterfront, great trees....
- Cons:so what's not to like?
- In a nutshell:Sanford makes me smile...I'll say it again.
We first lived in a country house when we moved to Florida so many years ago. The homes are generally one story ranch... more travel advice
The marina has grown enormously since my last trip to Sanford. Obviously there is a lot more money coming into town... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Sanford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanford makes me smile....."
- "sanford florida"
- "Feff's new Sanford Page"
- "Seminole County, Florida"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sanford
- 15 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Sanford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanford
Photos in SanfordSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 165 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos