"MYSTIC SEAPORT.... A MUSEUM VILLAGE" Top 5 Page for this destination Mystic Seaport by Pawtuxet

Mystic Seaport Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 184 photos

MYSTIC SEAPORT is admittedly a tourist attraction... but one that is done very well. It's educational while entertaining. The various buildings house a barrel shop, a blacksmith, a ship's chandellry, and many more early trades.
Pictured here is the Charles W. Morgan, a Whaling Ship which was restored and re-floated by the preservationists at Mystic Seaport. Visitors can walk all over it and question the volunteer guides.
Mystic Seaport can be reached off Rte. 95 in Connecticut...about a half hour from the Rhode Island state line.

Open Fire Cooking class

If you ever have a chance to do an evening where you learn to cook on an open fire... and enjoy the dinner in an early American home... whether it is in Mystic or elsewhere... seize the opportunity. It's as if you stepped into another world. It's entertaining, educational and delicious!
We signed up for a cooking class held in an 18th century home... and "taught" or hosted by two very experienced guides in costume. The limit is about 12 people per class...because of space and seating at the table. What a great night that was! My husband still talks about it. We tried cooking on our own old fireplace and brick oven... but afraid we are still in the amateur class.

• Last visit to Mystic Seaport: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2008

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

brought the daughters to mystic decades ago, maybe time to bring the grandchildren.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Jan 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM

We've enjoyed Mystic over and over. When the kids were young-a friend's son-or just an antique show in more recent years. Good place to hop off the highway for lunch too.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2009 at 6:49 AM

I loved it here - next time will take the tour you suggest. I don't know about that open hearth cooking - I have problems with a stove. Reading all detail so I can tell my Italian friend I only cook on open hearth! LOL

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Fascinating insight of a bygone era. At least cooking then would have been fun. (But then after - I would have missed my dishwasher!).

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Janet, the open hearth cooking class sound sgreat! It's another attracting place to visit...

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 9:26 AM

must be 25 years since we brought our daughters here. they would not go back, but i would. interesting material.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 6:04 AM

What a fascinating place, great for adults and children alike. The Charles W. Morgan has her namesake, the Cpt. Morgan in Hel, Poland. I wonder if they were both named after the same person.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Janet, this page brought back great childhood memories of a trip I made to Mystic Seaport in the early 1960s. I never forgot my visits aboard the Charles W. Morgan as well as a US Navy submarine!

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in Mystic Seaport

Have you been to Mystic Seaport?