"Many faces of Mystic....." Top 5 Page for this destination Mystic by Pawtuxet
Mystic Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 469 photos
Over the years we've spent a lot of time doing day trips to Mystic. It's just far enough away so we feel as if we've been somewhere.... but not so far that you can't just pick up and go whenever you feel the need to get out of town. Nice to have places like that around....and we have many of them in New England.
Mystic has many little corners to explore and enjoy. We used to enjoy taking our kids when they were young. There is an old Cider Mill on the National Historic Register... where you can watch the apples come down the chute and into the big flat trays, one on top of the other... and then pressed until the cider flows out through a tube into a vat downstairs. It's all powered by an old Ford engine. Kids can buy penny candy or you can find pumpkins and straw flowers. They are the only ones holding a license to make hard cider in all of New England, I believe.
There is a draw bridge... which my kids used to love to watch going up and down as the boats passed through. A small town sits at the edge of the river...where you might find a lunch room or an interesting shop to browse. The Museum village of Mystic Seaport is just up the road.. follow the signs. I have another page devoted to the Seaport. Hope you will click on Seaport
Finally.... as if that wasn't enough for a little place like Mystic.... there is another MYSTIC VILLAGE. This one is a reproduction village which was assembled for the purpose of trade. It's a charming shopping community where you can find lunch, homemade fudge, see a movie or buy western jewelry.
One day or many visits...there are always more things to see and do.
This was always one of my family's favorites in Mystic....especially in the summer months. It is a working draw bridge as you enter the actual town of Mystic. In warm weather, traffic is stopped repeatedly throughout the day (especially on weekends) while the bridge is lifted to allow tall sail boats and other large craft to pass under. Yes, it's old fashioned. You don't see them often. Some people get very annoyed with being held up in the traffic. Relax. Get an ice cream cone and sit in the sun watching the activity. It really is fascinating. There is a park along side the river where you can find a place to sit.
Much of Mystic, and in fact, Connecticut has a wealth of old wooden churches, great old trees, and colonial wood frame... more travel advice
The white wooden church and the little duck pond make a wonderful centerpiece for the Mystic Village... a s well as a... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Mystic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yo Ho Ho, and a bottle of Rum"
- "A Seaside Town"
- "MYSTIC SEAPORT--A seafaring village"
- "Many faces of Mystic....."
- "Mystic, CT"
- "Keeweechic's Mystic"
- "Mystic Seaport, Connecticut"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mystic
- Hotels in Mystic
- Transportation in Mystic
- Nightlife in Mystic
- Restaurants in Mystic
- Shopping in Mystic
- Warnings and Dangers in Mystic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mystic
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Mystic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mystic
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: TRAIN OR PLANE FROM WARSAW TO..."
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's Mystic travel pages
- Wrote a Review churches, trees, colonial buildings..... in Mystic Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "churches, trees, colonial buildings....."
- updated a Mystic Travel Page "Many faces of Mystic....."
Photos in MysticSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos