San Diego Favorite Tips by Pawtuxet Top 5 Page for this destination
San Diego Favorites: 197 reviews and 202 photos
Favorite thing: I really enjoyed my time at the artists' colony within the park. It's a series of adobe buildings with red tiled roofs which empty into a tiled courtyard....dotted with Bouganvellia vines and cactus. Various artists are housed in the buildings displaying their wares and some will give lessons in jewelry making or other crafts.
It's a wonderful way to view the local arts and wander through a beautiful setting while shopping for treasures.
South Park bungalow
Favorite thing: We toured some neighborhoods that my son has been watching....loving bungalows as he does and growing up with an architecture nut. South Park has been the up and coming place recently. Used to be run down and worn out, but now the revival has taken hold. There are gorgeous bungalows to be saved there. Many are already restored and truly lovely. That Prairie Style is also prevelant throughout the area...lots of Arts & Crafts...creative stone work...stucco....some knockout doorways and stained glass. Guess you have to be an architecture buff to enjoy driving around looking at this sort of thing. If you are as crazy as I am....please visit my travelogue for more pics of this interesting neighborhood.
Favorite thing: An 1887 Stick Eastlake house first owned by John Sherman, has a widow's walk and circular window. It was moved to Heritage Park in 1971. The Gilbert sisters brought many internationally famous entertainers to this home in the early years.
interior exhibits at Senlis cottage
Favorite thing: The Senlis Cottage was built for Eugene Senlis in 1896. He was an employee of the San Duiego pioneer horticulturist, Kate Sessions. (we met her on another tip about Balboa Park). This is a typical example of a home for working-class people. It now houses the Park Ranger office and rest rooms as well as the museum exhibit space. It seems funny to me to visit these historic sites...homes like this one considered so old. We moved out of a house built in 1895 to go to a house built in 1763...so it's hard for me to think about them as museums.
visiting the mission
Favorite thing: There are a number of missions scattered around San Diego. I wish I could take a guided tour of all of them. The architecture is old Mexican stucco with arches and the grounds are beautiful and tranquil. Try to slip in to at least one while you are on your visit. Hopefully they will always be preserved.
More Reviews (33)
- See All Spanish Village Art Studio within Balboa...
- See All Exhibit in Old Town Commercial...
- See All OCEANAIRE - Seafood Room
- Outdoor dining, Mexican food, TALL...
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Diego, California"
- "San Diego"
- "Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
- "Warm up to San Diego"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"
- "Something for everyone...San Diego"
- "Our San Diego Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Diego
- Hotels in San Diego
- Transportation in San Diego
- Nightlife in San Diego
- Restaurants in San Diego
- Shopping in San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Diego
- 38 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Diego
- Posted in Travel Lithuania Forum "Does anyone know about Kovno?"
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's San Diego tips
- Wrote a Review Spanish Village Art Studio within Balboa Park - in San Diego Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spanish Village Art Studio within Balboa Park -"
- updated a San Diego Travel Page "Warm up to San Diego"
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 32 reviews, 105 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Island Intro, 27 reviews, 99 photos
- Zoo- 142 Reviews, 209 Photos
- Old Town- 62 Reviews, 170 Photos
- Balboa Park- 114 Reviews, 239 Photos
- Gaslamp Quarter- 33 Reviews, 64 Photos
- SeaWorld- 83 Reviews, 132 Photos
- La Jolla- 47 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Seaport Village- 29 Reviews, 72 Photos
- USS Midway- 22 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Wild Animal Park- 29 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Coronado- 29 Reviews, 67 Photos
See All San Diego Things to Do