"Warm up to San Diego" Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego by Pawtuxet

San Diego Travel Guide: 3,230 reviews and 7,449 photos

In and around San Diego

Loads of beautiful trees, flowers, vines, museums, an artists' village, and of the course the famed Balboa Park Zoo.... these are the beginning of your exploration of Balboa Park.
You may want to explore other neighborhoods such as South Park or go to the Gas Lamp District downtown... or perhaps you'll wander over to Coronado to see the glorious Hotel del Coronado.
All this plus the beaches and the opportunity to go over the border for a jaunt into Mexico... lots to see and enjoy.

Hotel del Coronado... more than just a hotel

What a stunner this one is! The hotel has the oldest continuously operating elevator in the US with a man in a 1920's uniform who operates it for you. The building is the largest wood frame building in the U. S. as well.
There are places for lunch, shops, bar, outdoor walkways, and a fabulous beach out in front.
It may be too expensive to stay there, but visitors are welcome at the various eateries, bars, and a public section of the beach.

Numerous beaches with multiple personalities

It was January in Rhode Island, and we came home to a blizzard....but in La Jolla the surf was up and the surfers were having a great time. Some were body surfing. There were dolfins spotted a little way off shore. The temp was around 75 - 78 degrees while we were there. It cools off at night enough for a sweater or light jacket. Some call it "ideal weather conditions".

• Pros:Beaches and sunshine are plentiful
  • Cons:Freeways and malls are plentiful
  • In a nutshell:Fast growing and modern
  • Last visit to San Diego: Jan 2014
  • Intro Updated Feb 9, 2014

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Just stopping by to see your new tips and updated! Glad you had such good weather this winter!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I just visited SD recently with my sister. We roamed Coroando again and the Gaslamp Quarters with my great nephew. We had a very nice time. I enjoyed your lovely tips. Thank you!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the lovely San Diego photo Janet. And yes I do really like this great town. Must see Old town San Diego one day - it's awesome!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 7:07 AM

I've been looking at the pps of S.D. and reliving my youth. The changes have been heartwarming since it began to fall down a few decades ago. I was stationed there & at Delmar for mny yrs btwn roaming the earth with the Corps. Thks for the mmries.

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I missed a lot,truly!But time was short...Thank you for sharing !

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Great to see more than just seaworld where I've been a million years ago.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2008 at 5:16 AM

Hi, Janet! Thanks for describing that piece of Earth Paradise!

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Appealing images and tips. I'll be sure to send your SD pages to my cousin who will be traveling there next week.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 5:54 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'll be visiting here at the end of a Vegas/SoCal trip this November so will be sure to swing by again when I have more ideas in my head! Gillybob greetings

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Janet, you have an excellent page here. My favorite spot in San Diego is of course Balboa Park because of the greenery and of course those beautiful old trees!!

Pawtuxet

“The World As A Family ~”

Badges & Stats in San Diego

Have you been to San Diego?