"OPERATION DEEP FREEZE" Antarctica by Pawtuxet
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,173 reviews and 2,746 photos
McMurdo Station, Antarctica became my husband's home for a year in 1962-63. It was called "wintering over". He was part of the Seabee Batallion stationed in Antarctica for the purpose of supporting scientists from around the world.
He later returned to Antarctica as "summer support" when he had cross-rated to become an Airdale... parachute rigger.
"Kiwi" from New Zealand was interested in his photos from his tour down under...and I thought others might enjoy it as well. When he served with the Navy, there were no civilians other than the scientists. Now you can visit as a tourist. Dress warm!!!
Hope you will enjoy his photo collection.
We visited the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem Massachusetts for a wonderful travelling exhibit called, "To The Ends of the Earth". It was an exhibit of fabulous paintings of the polar landscapes...most of which were Antarctica. The exhibit runs until March 1, 2009, but will no doubt show up in other cities soon. These dramatic views of the ships that ventured to the ice at the turn of the century are amazing. To be an explorer and want to travel to such a dangerous and bleak location is one thing...but to be an artist and have the fortitude to go and paint it, is pretty impressive.
Anyone who has visited Antarctica for any reason... whether thru the military or otherwise...is now eligible to join the Old Antarctic Explorers Association. The organization recently changed their ruling to include a wide range of Antarctic visitors who enjoy the discussions, memories and reunions which this group has been enjoying for many years. If you have been there ... you would no doubt enjoy the web site and the sharing of stories. To join, you just log into their web site and download an application.
Quonset Point and Davisville, Rhode Island were the military bases from which the Antarctic squadrons deployed. Hence, I met my husband when he was stationed here in RI before leaving for Antarctica.
- Pros:The Last Frontier
- Cons:The Last Frontier
- In a nutshell:Glad it was my husband and not me !! :-)
We visited Salem, Massachusetts for an artist's view of Antarctica... shown in an exhibit of some of the most... more travel advice
The Antarctic Explorers Assn. had their third National Reunion in Rhode Island in August of (2006) They had a blast. ... more travel advice
Pawtuxet's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "My Seventh Continent!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 25 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
- Posted in Travel Canada Forum "Re: Best Tourist Spots"
- updated a Antarctica Travelogue "Know anyone at the OAE REUNION 2006? Rhode Island"
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's Antarctica travel pages
- Wrote a Review To the Ends of the Earth in Antarctica Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "To the Ends of the Earth"
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 53 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rockport Intro, 52 reviews, 163 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 47 reviews, 154 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pawtuxet Intro, 45 reviews, 144 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Intro, 42 reviews, 140 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Savannah Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 33 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 35 reviews, 100 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhode Island Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kolbuszowa Intro, 25 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues